UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Gladiators And Their Gear

M. Demetrius

Salvete,

Our group is planning to put together a gladiator troupe. My own first impressions will be a (ok, a little pudgy) retarius, and a Thracian heavy gladiator.

I have a question, though, the retarius carried a formidable dagger...blade around 12" long. This is actually a little bigger than a typical pugio. How was the scabbard attached to the belt? Was it hung from two frogs like a pugio, or was it held on by laces around the belt through its four rings? Or was there some other type of scabbard/sheath for a gladiator?

I've seen some paintings, but they are not old ones, they are Renaissance or later, so there's no sure bet on whether they were accurately portrayed. Anybody got any helps?

Thanks,

Pax et victoria!

M. Demetrius

---I'm pretty sure this photo came from Romania, but couldn't find the credit for it. Sorry to whomever B)post-1-1160630497.ipb

Osprey do a very good book on Gladiators, illustrated by Angus McBride, who is reliable. It's cheap and easily available in the UK.

There is a catalogue of an exhibition at the British Museum about 2-3 years ago, which is profusely illustrated. there are many pictures of both re-enactors and original paintings and equipment. Should be available through libraries. I'll dig out my copy and give you more details. It was published as a large format p/back.

Susanna Shadrake's "The World of the Gladiator" (Tempus Publishing in UK)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, another question.

The Thracian carried a curved, hooked, or bent sword called a sica. Was it a single edged sword? If so, was the cutting edge on the inside curve or the outside? I'm making a practice one, and it makes sense to train with the mock weapon as if it were real...so??

I've seen pictures of it, but it's not all that clear.

thanks

Edited by M. Demetrius

presently I can only find a reference to African weapons of this type having an inside cutting edge (C.Spring "African Hilt Weapons" ).