UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Greek Solar System Model Meant For Caesar Triumph?

"Like Alexandria, Rhodes was a great centre of astronomy at the time," said Moussas. "The boat where the device was discovered could have been part of a convoy to Rome, bearing treasure looted from the island for the purpose of a triumph parade staged by Julius Caesar."

:lol: Right before that they said the wreck was dated to about 80 BC... Uh, he went to Rhodes around then but to study oration & philosophy...

I hate articles like this that babble on and then ultimately say nothing about the actual subject. Which in this case is what the hell the text says on it... I guess we have to wait until November. :blink:

I hate articles like this that babble on and then ultimately say nothing about the actual subject. Which in this case is what the hell the text says on it... I guess we have to wait until November. :blink:

Yeah I probably shouldn't have posted that but I always thought the Antikythera Mechanism was some mysterious unique mystery. Now I find out that Cicero actually wrote about it or a similar device "recently constructed by our friend Poseidonius, which at each revolution reproduces the same motions of the sun, the moon and the five planets." Makes you wonder about all the ancient technology that just wasn't seen as anything other than a novelty at the time.