UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Beware: The New Goths Are Coming

Virgil61

Wow.... I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this. ;)

I did think it was interesting not just because of the immigration issue but the intertwining of the fall of Rome and those pesky Goths into his argument. I don't know if this is a one-time opinion put forth or the signal that the immigration scare which seems to be rising in the West is reaching the point where defense analysts are now beginning to spout about it as a national and regional security issue.

I like the Australian news.com.au re-branding of the same article's title:

"Modern-day Goths and Vandals threaten the West via cheap flights and the net." Struck me as funny.

If sufficiently large numbers of people infiltrate into a given culture, the question is will they assimilate into the culture or will they assimilate the culture to them?

I'm not some hard die-hard paleoconservative bemoaning the loss of some pristine WASP culture. But there is cause for concern. Especially from the growing numbers of increasingly militant Muslims who seem to see nothing good in Western society.

If sufficiently large numbers of people infiltrate into a given culture, the question is will they assimilate into the culture or will they assimilate the culture to them?

I'm not some hard die-hard paleoconservative bemoaning the loss of some pristine WASP culture. But there is cause for concern. Especially from the growing numbers of increasingly militant Muslims who seem to see nothing good in Western society.

I agree. I think there's a sense now with the large influx of Muslims to the West, especially Europe, that there was little done to have them assimilate properly. Part of it is being frank about it by telling them to either accept the cultural and more secular values of Western society or go somewhere else. I have little tolerance for our own home-grown fundamentalists and none for an imported militant variety.

Unfortunately, part of it is the old scourge, political correctness. Protected by such terms as "race-based attacks", "racism", "xenophobia" etc, different cultures go to countries and are increasingly expecting these cultures to adapt to them, rather then the other way around. Now, in the case of Australia, i'm not a supporter of the old "White Australia" policy, but to be brutally honest, Australia hasn't exactly gained from being inundated with Asians, "People of Middle-Eastern Appearance" etc...

To much idealism it's the recipe for disaster. What it's wrong in saying "this piece of land belongs to me and my bloodline"?

Technicaly nothing, but people will think of it as an intolerant or nationalistic opinion.

It's natural that people want to save their culture, and that's OK as long as they don't attack anyone or something like that (look at the japanese, for instance)

Personally, I dislike this kind of slightly subtle fear-kindling/hate-mongering.

north African "barbary" pirates could be attacking yachts and beaches in the Mediterranean within 10 years.

I assume the crazed Admiral is expecting the good citizens of Morocco, Libya, Tunisia and Egypt to suddenly decide that piracy is a good way of making money and that their government's will sit back and watch with smug satisfaction as hordes of badly sunburned north Europeans get their come uppance.

Honestly, I've not heard anything as silly as this for years.

Europe, including Britain, could be undermined by large immigrant groups with little allegiance to their host countries

Personally, I dislike this kind of slightly subtle fear-kindling/hate-mongering.

north African "barbary" pirates could be attacking yachts and beaches in the Mediterranean within 10 years.

I assume the crazed Admiral is expecting the good citizens of Morocco, Libya, Tunisia and Egypt to suddenly decide that piracy is a good way of making money and that their government's will sit back and watch with smug satisfaction as hordes of badly sunburned north Europeans get their come uppance.

Honestly, I've not heard anything as silly as this for years.

It fair boils my piss when folk persist in representing immigration as the C21st 'Yellow Peril'.

Well, competition for resources might well end up in warfare. But then again it might well not.

Cavalry? What is heaven's name as Parry been drinking? I'm positively trembling at the thought of Indian horsemen, presumably with cruise missiles in their saddlebags, sweeping across the Middle East and Europe like latter day Mongols. Or maybe he envisages camel riding Moslems charging gloriously northward (maybe ferried by his imaginary pirates) with chain guns mounted on their camels humps?

Really, I'm utterly torn between fury at his bigotry and laughter at his inane imaginings.

I think you've taken his comments on cavalry and piracy, filtered through a reporter, a bit too literally. I'd like to see the actual text of the commentary. Characterizing the admiral as 'crazed' isn't necessary, I've followed some of the doctrinal studies he's been in charge of and while they can be subject to criticism they're fairly serious and thought out works: LINK

It's Parry's job as chief of Doctrine and Concepts to guess at future national security issues based on current trends. We've got the same office with almost the same name and charged with a similar mission at the Pentagon. The nature of the that beast is you have to make projections and tying the hands of those who make them with politically correct constraints just doesn't make sense. The sub-text to what I read is that there's difference between immigration and assimilation and of immigration and the 'lebanonization' of those immigrants.

In the wake of the last 20 years of events, only the most incompetant strategist imaginable would fail to address the topic of Islamic culture and the effects of the immigration of that culture on the issue of national security.

If it is too much to fast... they will change the culture... that is a valid statement and arguement and one applied to Late Rome... so I can see that as having water.