UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Herods

Guest ladydonna

Guest ladydonna

Could anyone share with me about the different Herods of Rome, and a brief history of each. And what did Jesus Christ mean when He called Herod 'The Fox.'

Could anyone share with me about the different Herods of Rome, and a brief history of each. And what did Jesus Christ mean when He called Herod 'The Fox.'

Hello Ladydonna and welcome to UNRV.com :)

I don't know much about the Herods myself, so i searched a bit for you and found some pages, I am not sure about their quality, but here they are anyway. :)

http://www.imt.net/~gedison/herod.html

http://www.cresourcei.org/herodrule.html

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07289c.htm

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sh...trait/jews.html

and here are some Books

About the Fox;

The Pharisees had warned Jesus that if He remained in Herod

All right, there are actual three Herods referenced in the bible. THe first is Herod the Great. This is the Herod who ordered the slaughter of all the new bron Jews in Bethlahem, in a ttempt to kill the prophesiezed king. He came to power through Julius Caesar after his help in the Alexandrian Wars. He it the Herod involved with Jesus as a baby, and that is all. Herod the great constructed, among other great structures, the Fortress of Massada.

Herod Antipas is the son of Herod the Great. In the bible, he is the one who married his brothers wife after he died, and was insulted by John the Baptisist for this, in which he ended up losing his head.

Hero Agrippa is the grandson of Herod the Great, through his other son (NOT Herod Agrippa). This whould be the Herod who imprisoned Simon and John in Jersualem. He actualyl traveled to Rome, and stayed with Caligula for awhile.

• 4 years later...

This is interesting. When did Judea become a client state to Rome? I read in what appeared to be a rather poor article that the Romans "took control" of Judea in 164 bc but i don't know what actually happened. i realize that rome took control of places long before they actually provinced them, but surely 164 is too early, right?

Antiochus III

Just to give you a quick time table of events:

161 BC: An alliance between Rome and Judas Maccabeus (then the rebel leader in Judea) is struck is alliance will continue until the days of Alexander Jannaeus (reign 103 BC - 73 BC).

63 BC: Popeius conquer Syria and naturally Judea become a client state.

At this date Antipatar (Herod's father) became the most prominent of Hycranus II advicers, he came from a family of Edomites who were converted into Judaism after John Hycranus I conquer their homeland in 112 BC, his father Antipas was made the governor of the province in the days of Alexander Jannaeus, and Antipatar himself manage to became the strongest man in Judea due to his assistence to the Romans (Pompeius and Julius Caesar) after his assasination in 43 BC his sons, Phasael and Herod, continue to rule Judea until the Parthian invasion in 40 BC which put the Hasmonean Antigonus on the throne.

Phasael were put to death and Herod escaped to Rome where he manage to presuade Antonius that he be made king of Judea, in 37 BC he manage to capture the throne with the help of the Roman legions.

Upon his death in 4 BC his kingdom is divided into three realms: Herod Antipas (the one who were called "the fox" by Jesus) receive the Galilee and the Perea, Philipus receive the Trachonitis and the northen parts (which were non Jewish) and Archelaus receive the largest parts of Edom, Judea and Samaria.

6 AD: Archelaus is exiled and Augustus annexed Judea

41 AD: Agrippa I united his grandfather kingdom under one ruler.

44 AD: Agrippa I death, Claudius re-annex Judea. a few years later his son (Agrippa II) is made king in the northen parts of his father kingdom and would rule them until 100 AD.

the Romans "took control" of Judea in 164 bc but i don't know what actually happened. i realize that rome took control of places long before they actually provinced them, but surely 164 is too early, right?

Antiochus III

Apparently the Hasmoneans (then in rebellion against the Seleucid kingdom) sent an embassy to Rome in 161BCE during which an agreement was supposedly made such that the senate promised help and friendship in the event of an attack by another power. However, the Romans allowed the Seleucid king Demetrius Soter to drive out the Hasmoneans and to install his own candidate in the High Priesthood at Jerusalem without intervening. In 160 Tiberius Gracchus (senior) met Demetrius' ambassador in Rhodes and recognized him as king. Another Seleucid embassy was received in Rome later in 160 and got formal recognition for Demetrius.

Continued dynastic chaos in Syria (instigated by Egypt, Pergamum and Cappodocia, probably with the quiet approval of the senate) allowed the creation of an independent Jewish state around 142BCE. The Jewish kingdom sent another embassy to Rome which supposedly obtained the recognition and support of the Republic.

Even so, the Romans showed little interest in the conflicts and wars of the Hasmonean Priest-Kings with Syria, Nabatea and each other until Pompey's lieutenant Scaurus reached Damascus after the defeat of Tigranes of Armenia (65BCE). At the time the Nabatean Arabs were besieging Jerusalem on behalf of one of the two warring brothers vying for the Jewish throne. The Nabateans withdrew at the order of Scaurus and the and two pretenders and representatives of the Jewish people all appealed to Pompey when he arrived at Damascus in 63BCE.

Negotiations were still under way when the supporters of one of the pretenders (Aristobulus) refused to allow Roman troops into Jerusalem. When this happened Pompey arrested Aristobulus, siezed the town, and besieged and took the Temple.

This was the end of the independent Jewish kingdom and the definite beginning of the Jewish client-state. The other brother (Hyrcanus) was left in charge as ethnarch (vice king) and High-Priest with Antipater (father of Herod) as his minister. The Greek towns and Samaria were separated from the Jewish state and it was placed under the control of the governor of the new province of Syria.

Aristobulus was carried off to walk in Pompeys' triumph, but his son and some of his supporters continued to cause trouble for some time. It was left to Antipater, the prime minister, to fight the brigands (or freedom fighters if you prefer) and to steer the Jewish state through the Roman civil wars - giving valuable support to Pompey, Caesar and the assasins in turn.

Edited by Pompieus

Now for another question: when did the parthian empire begin, and when did it become more powerful than hte seleucid empire? when did it bcome a major threat to Rome? I guess im looking for a timeline or something i guess. thanks for the help!

Antiochus III

As they left no written records the early history of Parthia is something of a mystery; but the first great Parthian king and the creator of the Parthian Empire was Mithridates I who began his career of conquest sometime around 160 BCE (after the battle of Magnesia and the deaths of Antiochus III and Antiochus Eupator. The Seleucid Empire fragmented and left the field open to the Parthians. Mithridates annexed Media, defeated the Bactrians and conquered Tapuria, Traxiane and Elymais, and took Babylon in 142 or 141. The Seleucid king Demetrius briefly re-took Babylon in 140 but was defeated and captured by Mithridates in 139.

• 2 weeks later...