UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Byzantine Language

This is probably a stupid question but did the byzantines speak and write in Ancient greek or modern greek...is there any differences? lol proabbly a stupid question but would like to know lol....might try learning greek or something

Byzantines speak and write in middle greek. There are special middle greek dictionaries and I even have one.

Philhellene's right of course. But it was a complicated language situation. When you studied Greek in Byzantium, you studied ancient and Biblical Greek (which are not the same thing, either); therefore, as an educated person, when you wrote Greek you might write a mixture of these, bringing in medieval words for things the ancients didn't talk about, or, if you were a real swot, re-using ancient words with medieval meanings. For these reasons there are huge differences between the style of one author and that of another, all the way from medieval colloquial (middle Greek) via New Testament to hyper-classical. It's fun to read Byzantine Greek, but it's not always easy ...

Do they teach middle greek? if not do you think it be better to learn ancient or modern greek if your interested in the Byzantine empire?

A good question! Others will want to comment on this too. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that if you're really going to get into Byzantine culture you need to do it their own way -- you need some background of classical Greek and Biblical Greek (but Biblical / New Testament Greek is really easy when you've done a bit of classical Greek).

But you can't manage without some modern Greek too. Anyway, anyone who studies classical Greek and doesn't want to know modern Greek is silly. In saying this I am criticising myself because I am still no good at modern Greek really. Now that my daughter lives in Greece I have taken a resolution to learn modern Greek properly at last.

Do they teach middle greek? if not do you think it be better to learn ancient or modern greek if your interested in the Byzantine empire?

A good question! Others will want to comment on this too. My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that if you're really going to get into Byzantine culture you need to do it their own way -- you need some background of classical Greek and Biblical Greek (but Biblical / New Testament Greek is really easy when you've done a bit of classical Greek).

But you can't manage without some modern Greek too. Anyway, anyone who studies classical Greek and doesn't want to know modern Greek is silly. In saying this I am criticising myself because I am still no good at modern Greek really. Now that my daughter lives in Greece I have taken a resolution to learn modern Greek properly at last.

i see...well thanks heaps.. i think there is a place nearby that teaches classical Greek. And i guess i could pick up a bit of modern greek as my brothers best friend is full on Greek and my brother speaks a bit.

well thanks for the suggestion mate ^^

• 2 months later...

i see...well thanks heaps.. i think there is a place nearby that teaches classical Greek. And i guess i could pick up a bit of modern greek as my brothers best friend is full on Greek and my brother speaks a bit.

well thanks for the suggestion mate ^^

I started with Biblical Greek. It ws the easiest to find materials. It was also the common language through about 225 - 250 AD so lots of the older Byzantine and late Roman Greek inscriptions actually use this form. Think of it as Shakpearian English, it is different but still understandable to the modern ear.

You can also order self-contained "Learn Greek" mateterials and lexicons through Chrsitian Book Stores at rather reasonable prices.