UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

100,000 Year Old Jewellery Found

(BBC News)

"The earliest known pieces of jewellery made by modern humans have been identified by scientists.

The three shell beads are between 90,000 and 100,000 years old, according to an international research team.

Two of the ancient beads come from Skhul Cave on the slopes of Mount Carmel in Israel. The other comes from the site of Oued Djebbana in Algeria."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5099104.stm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hmm, interesting article, but I would be a bit careful with the conclusion that the perfuration of the mollusc shells was intended for necklaces, since it could have been done to take out the food. The thesis about the necklace would gain more strength if there were also other shells in the vicinity that were not perfurated; however, the article doesn't say nothing about the context of the findings.

Hmm, interesting article, but I would be a bit careful with the conclusion that the perfuration of the mollusc shells was intended for necklaces, since it could have been done to take out the food. The thesis about the necklace would gain more strength if there were also other shells in the vicinity that were not perfurated; however, the article doesn't say nothing about the context of the findings.

That's an excellent point.

The perforations could have been made by urchins to get at the animal and later enlarged by humans. You can see these holes on periwinkles at the sea shore. However, if you have ever eaten snails (presuming that is what the shells are from), you will have used a single tine like tool to get at the animal through its opening and not drill a hole through the shell. Much, much easier.

That's an excellent point.

Thank you.

The perforations could have been made by urchins to get at the animal and later enlarged by humans. You can see these holes on periwinkles at the sea shore. However, if you have ever eaten snails (presuming that is what the shells are from), you will have used a single tine like tool to get at the animal through its opening and not drill a hole through the shell. Much, much easier.

Snails have a larger opening, whereas in the picture provided in the link the opening of these shells appears to be very small. Notice, however, that I find reasonable the interpretation about the shells having been part of a necklace. Yet, I'd like to know more about the context in order to be more sure.

The image you provided doesn't show the opening, nonetheless, I did a bit of research and found other images here and here that show that the snail had a sizeable opening. So, I guess my initial idea was not correct.

Delicious menu! Now you know some of what I eat on Christmas Eve (Vigile d' Natale) And Christmas Day (Natale). Don't make necklaces though. Too :drunk: !