UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pompeii Live

Pertinax

Any Brits on the board -this is showing now! Looks like it will be a "popularised" fake excitement fest, but some nice shots so far. De La Bedoyere is on the show.The two presenters are rather irritating already, but its worth a look.

edit: definitely middle/low brow De La bedoyere is fine as scene setter, his small chat about the water system was useful but the presenters are really superfluous with lots of pointless arm waving and crass oversimplification, a voiceover would have been better.

edit 2 : I gave up, Jon Snow is just too irritating with his pointless histironics

Edited by Pertinax

I know Pompeii and Herculaneum quite well, but not from recent years. the programme has made me determined to revisit the sites next year.

Highlights for me were:

* to see that a statue of M Nonius Balbus has been re-erected on the plaza before suburban baths at Herc (with the older head)

* to see a wooden bed with marquetry inlay (I have seen other preserved beds and furniture in herc but this was superb

* to get a close view of the painted "amazon" head

* Andrew Wallace-Hadrill's presence (I am a great fan of his work)

* to see the subterranean tunnels through the basilica in some detail

* to visit the "sewers" of Herc - something of a conundrum

All in all a populist but quite revealing couple of hours. I cannot see that many casual viewers would have been gripped by some of the detail which would be of interest only to fans. A programme for the "Time Team" regulars, I suppose.

It gets a thumbs up from me.

Phil

If the historians had been left to tell the "story" and guide us around the site I think the whole thing would have been much better, the Ercolano sewer finds were very interesting, as was the house with the decorators working on the day of the eruption .I watched Snow in the Battle of Hastings documentary and had to switch that off as well because of his vapid posturings.

Edited by Pertinax

But Snow does have "energy" - and I thought overall the presentation was better than some of the US equivalents I have seen.

Phil

But Snow does have "energy" - and I thought overall the presentation was better than some of the US equivalents I have seen.

Phil

I think Dr Johnson would have described him as "An Enthusiast" .... which is not a compliment.

Edited by Pertinax

Well, I've never really warmed to Dr Johnson (though I live not far from Lichfield).

I suppose I might even count as an "enthusiast" myself in some regards!!

I just hope that the programme was successful enough to warrant more of a similar kind, even if with different presenters.

Phil