UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Tragedy For Britain!

will the Greek church burn it as an Evil Omen? THe Marbles would be a nice shopping mall floor if not in the British Museum.

wow another huge triumph for liberal diplomacy.

When I was a sprog (nb: English usage " small schoolboy with scabby legs and sundry frogs and catapults in pockets" ) I thought it was strange that the ancient greeks played marbles, I mean they were a very serious sort of people.I conjectured that there was probably therefore a deep philosophical meaning to the game of marbles -how wrong I was, marbles is a much better game than philosophy.

When I was a sprog (nb: English usage " small schoolboy with scabby legs and sundry frogs and catapults in pockets" ) I thought it was strange that the ancient greeks played marbles, I mean they were a very serious sort of people.I conjectured that there was probably therefore a deep philosophical meaning to the game of marbles -how wrong I was, marbles is a much better game than philosophy.

That was deep. Very deep, indeed.

I hope that you are not playing with your marbles now. :P

B)

Edited by Gaius Octavius

That was deep. Very deep, indeed.

I hope that you are not playing with your marbles now. :P

B)

Madame Pertinax makes sure my marbles are kept in a small bag for safekeeping.

The coin commemorating the assassination of Caesar must be a HOLY RELIC! Isn't it obvious why I'm sick??

Take a pill; lie down; take a long nap. In the meanwhile I will solicit the members hereon to garner some gold to get some Greek burglars to get the coin back. It will be put in a museum for you to worship at. Do you have a museum in ohighyo?

:ph34r:

Phew, I thought they'd finally got their marbles back when I saw the title of this thread. Hopefully that won't happen in my lifetime.

Phew, I thought they'd finally got their marbles back when I saw the title of this thread. Hopefully that won't happen in my lifetime.

I must say I don't see the problem with this. People in many countries are supposed to report finds of antiquities to the authorities, and that applies in Greece as it does in the UK. If the coin was not properly reported, smuggled to Britain, spent a couple of years there, and has now gone back where it belongs, that's good, isn't it? Happy ending.

In any case the coin is not unique. 58 specimens are known. I bet you a pint of Young's Special that at least one of those 58 is in the British Museum, which has just about the best collection of Greek and Roman coins in the world.

As for the Marbles, that would be another thread. Or maybe it has been already?