UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Medicine

Pertinax

... did I overlook a specific name ( Pantherina would be my guess) or was the suggested action due to general mushroom ability to transmit endophytes?

I'm afraid the reference to psychedelic mushrooms is more a nod to my University days at Berkeley! If you've found a Latin name, all the better!

ps: I forgot, Lucius Brassus ha ha very good ...as in " Luca , im Bruno Tattaglia"

You're one of the few people to have 'got' that Lucius Brassus is a reference to Luca Brasi, despite all my 'Godfather' references... Thanks for noticing! :D

Flavia

ps: I forgot, Lucius Brassus ha ha very good ...as in " Luca , im Bruno Tattaglia"

You're one of the few people to have 'got' that Lucius Brassus is a reference to Luca Brasi, despite all my 'Godfather' references... Thanks for noticing! :D

Flavia

"You care for da scotch? pre-war?" " I no bibbo".

this entry refers , but in Europe the Panther is uncommon-ish (though a learned physician would be able to search it out under deciduous woodland cover).

http://www.erowid.org/plants/amanitas/aman...antherina.shtml

'Pollux!' cursed Crispus. 'He'll hunt us all down. And he'll never forgive me. He'll have that giant Lucius Brassus chop me up into tiny pieces and throw me to the fishes!'

from The Pirates of Pompeii

'Pollux!' cursed Crispus. 'He'll hunt us all down. And he'll never forgive me. He'll have that giant Lucius Brassus chop me up into tiny pieces and throw me to the fishes!'

from The Pirates of Pompeii

"What the hell is this ? "

"Its a Sicilian message...it means.."

A nice touch in "Sirens" , FG has Johnathon wear a sachet of ephedra around his neck (as a bronchiodilator) for his asthma.Amusing that this herb has become such a fashionable item (for weight loss , though sadly mis-use can cause an embolism), and is one of the most talked about cyber space herbs , (particularly in N America). It is also known as Ma Huang in Chinese medicine.

A nice touch in "Sirens" , FG has Johnathon wear a sachet of ephedra around his neck (as a bronchiodilator) for his asthma.Amusing that this herb has become such a fashionable item (for weight loss , though sadly mis-use can cause an embolism), and is one of the most talked about cyber space herbs , (particularly in N America). It is also known as Ma Huang in Chinese medicine.

Strictly speaking, the risk with ephedra is not embolism but brain hemorrhage (bleeding because of a huge increase of the blood pressure); the opposite in the organ, but almost the same for the patient (a stroke).

Strictly speaking, the risk with ephedra is not embolism but brain hemorrhage (bleeding because of a huge increase of the blood pressure); the opposite in the organ, but almost the same for the patient (a stroke).

Yes. that was rather lazy of me, the correction is timely.

I didn't like to go too far into the contemporary use of pseudo-ephadrine in crystal meth, in case some more impressionable Forum members started to cause major pyrotechnic detonations in their homes or colleges.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...ficial%26sa%3DX

I am beholden to Lost Warrior for this little gem:

"Hail skilled Asklepios, divine physician!

What blessing is better than health?

In gratitude to You I offer this.

Hail heroic Asklepios, Coronis

• 1 month later...

I am working up a review of "Justinian's Flea"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Justinians-Flea-Pl...2724&sr=8-1

which is a "scene setter" for the Late Empire not just a disease oriented text,( though the medical part of the work is rivetting).

I have blogged here:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...;blogid=19&

because I think the argument developed in this text informs several major outbreaks of "plague" within the reach of Attic to Justinian outbreaks.