UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Forum Meeting In UK

So you're from the land of the Mancs then Augusta (you've got the same monicle as the missus) - are we going to hear you at any point? Do you originate from that land mass or have you migrated in true Roman style from lands afar?

Well, I have migrated all of 6 miles from a little town in Cheshire (Dukinfield) so thankfully I do not have a Manchester accent. (Noel and Liam Gallagher, Ricky Hatton, or the dreaded Gary Neville, for instance!). I can pronounce all the T's in my words! I have more of a Lancashire gloss.

Alas I won't be speaking at the meeting this time, as I have nothing prepared, but you may well hear me chipping in with the odd question. :blink: I think we northerners are going to be well represented. :lol:

Edited by The Augusta

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have migrated all of 6 miles from a little town in Cheshire (Dukinfield) so thankfully I do not have a Manchester accent. (Noel and Liam Gallagher, Ricky Hatton, or the dreaded Gary Neville, for instance!). I can pronounce all the T's in my words! I have more of a Lancashire gloss.

Alas I won't be speaking at the meeting this time, as I have nothing prepared, but you may well hear me chipping in with the odd question. :whistling: I think we northerners are going to be well represented. :ph34r:

Dukinfield? I've not heard of that place before. Is it a village or a town, as you said, maybe of some size? Come to think of it... how did it get its name? A duck in the field maybe? I'll ponder that one until you come back to us!! :)

Aaaawwww... not speaking... ah well, a Lancashire accent is nice and I will listen out for you. It seems us northerners are keen to spread the word anywhere... I'd just like to know what the 'word' is!! Could it be................ wait for it!!!................... Romans?!?!?!?!?!?!? :lol:

Dukinfield? I've not heard of that place before. Is it a village or a town, as you said, maybe of some size? Come to think of it... how did it get its name? A duck in the field maybe? I'll ponder that one until you come back to us!! :)

If its any help, Augustus, Wikipedia says:

After the Norman Conquest the area became part of two Norman estates and in the 12th century the presiding family took the name De Dokenfeld. An interesting point to note is that 'Dokenfeld' in Old Norse translates as 'field of ravens'. Full link here

How true it is I don't know, but the Wikipedia entry does accord with what we learned in primary school about 'Dokenfield'. We were told it was a name given to us by the Vikings.

I can also vouch for most of what the article says (it is one of Wiki's 'uncited'), especially about the ...erm...famous folks: Kathy Staff (Nora Batty from 'Last of the Summer Wine') is certainly a Duky girl - her real name is Minnie Higginbottom! The cricketer Norman Oldfield worked with my Mum during the war.

Edited by The Augusta

That's quite interesting Augusta. It seems the town has been passed about within borough boundaries quite a bit during its past. The entries seem to go back to the industrial eras of cotton and mining but folk must have lived there for some time before that. Is there any history of Romans being around that town or its vicinity? I mean within only a mile or two really.

"It seems our esteemed Pertinax is trying his best to get me to talk at this meet about Segedunum or maybe Hadrian's Wall... well, I might answer some questions if anyone has any.. but speak? "

I hope you might tell us a little about Segedunum in particular, the authentic local accent will add authority to your speechifying!

That's quite interesting Augusta. It seems the town has been passed about within borough boundaries quite a bit during its past. The entries seem to go back to the industrial eras of cotton and mining but folk must have lived there for some time before that. Is there any history of Romans being around that town or its vicinity? I mean within only a mile or two really.

Off the top of my head, Augustus, I don't know of much. We had a Roman road at the top of the town, and in the next town of Stalybridge, there is an area called Castlefield on which there was a Roman fort. I'll try to do a bit of research before I meet up with you and let you know what I can.

And welcome back, Pertinax.

As I have rudely posted over your question to Augustus - here it is repeated!

"It seems our esteemed Pertinax is trying his best to get me to talk at this meet about Segedunum or maybe Hadrian's Wall... well, I might answer some questions if anyone has any.. but speak? "

I hope you might tell us a little about Segedunum in particular, the authentic local accent will add authority to your speechifying!

Alas I won't be speaking at the meeting this time, as I have nothing prepared, but you may well hear me chipping in with the odd question. :ph34r: I think we northerners are going to be well represented. ;)

Why not, My Lady of the North :notworthy: ? Must your arms be twisted once again? :furious: Surely you won't leave this to My Lord of the Herbs :notworthy: and the likes of sport-smiley-12.gif.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Hi Augusta and Pertinax

I have heard of Castlefield and the existence of a Roman fort there but know nothing of it. Any information is always greeted with lots of gratitude and kindness from ones loyal subjects!!

If the questions are not too complex and deep I may well be able to answer some. I am no expert but know more than most maybe. This is due to the ex curator at Segedunum who taught me a lot in the short time our paths crossed - mainly while giving me personal guided tours of the fort grounds etc. So I'll do my best - he says!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think all mobile communications devices are now homed on myself? Anyone not "hooked up" please send me pm.

Shields on me!

Hi all

I am not sure if this is the right place for this but as it concerns our UK meet I will post here anyway...

A guy from ITV has been in touch and registered on my forum asking for information as regards to a future TV programme they are in production with at the moment. Here is his initial post....

"I work the Arts department at ITV. Our main output is Melvyn Bragg

Thanks AC. Ill keep this post here for the moment and then possibly hive off the topic depending on information and ideas arising from the UK meet.

Thanks P - I appreciate that. Does this mean we have to act all serious in York now? :D

Hey, I hope not! May I say how excited I am getting about our meeting! To me, this is like Christmas was when I was a kid! I cant wait to meet you all, trade stories, share interests and beer!!! roll on next week!!!