UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Further Education

Im after a bit of help and advice from you guys,

I would like to improve my knowledge of ancient history mainly ancient rome, although i read many books on the subject i still feel this isn't enough and after listening to some of the people in this forum i realise that my knowledge is pretty limited so i would like to do a course of some sort to help me along.

I work full time and have a family so a full time course is out of the question, im looking for something in the evenings or even online.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Maximus

1. Check the Home page of this site and click around.

2. Your local library.

3. Perseus

Ditto - even if you did not have a busy schedule. No need to pay someone to show you things that are immediately available for free. Besides, you can learn by your schedule and your particular eccentric interests.

Another resource you have is the variety of people in this community. Whatever topic you want to learn about - ask for a good starting spot and you'll probably get a lot of help and make some interesting friends.

Let me add a couple suggestions/augmentations to the ones already suggested.

1) After using the really handy history here on UNRV, do a search on Perseus and read/scan any bibliographic material suggested.

2) Ask in the appropriate forum for siggestions on good books. Read said books but really use their bibliography. Then go on line and search for the books listed at the closest university to you, or at the largest library close by. Make time to retrieve said books and scan the shelves around them. I've found the best resources two or three books down from what I though was going to be a major information source.

3) Research is tough, and family life makes it even more fun, but if and when you think you have done enough...bang out a paper. No really, produce a term paper like you did in school. On the third revision (or so) you'll really have your ideas come into focus. After that, you can probably post a concentrated bullet point somewhere here and have a really good discussion with two or more people.

But mostly I offer this bit of advise: Don't stick to reading history you like. Read one you know you'll probably disagree with, say, every third or fourth book you read. It will sharpen your critical skills as you pick them apart, so you can use the skills on histories you like.

2) Ask in the appropriate forum for siggestions on good books. Read said books but really use their bibliography. Then go on line and search for the books listed at the closest university to you, or at the largest library close by. Make time to retrieve said books and scan the shelves around them. I've found the best resources two or three books down from what I though was going to be a major information source.

This is really great, and is what I tell my students to do, too. Oftentimes I get more info from the bibliography of a respected source or from the books in the stacks around the one I'm looking for than just about anything else. It seems that no matter how familiar I get with an online catalog, I never quite find what I want. But I can figure out how the library is set up, and once I get into the section I want, then I'm halfway there.