UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cinema Depictions Of Caesar

phil25

Rex Harrison was my favorite Caesar too.

But if we're talking BIZARRE, go to your DVD store and look for a French movie called DRUIDS. Christopher Lambert ( Highlander, Greystoke) plays the life of Vercingetorix. The whole film looks like a Braveheart knockoff. And Gaius Julius Caesar is played by a slightly pudgy Klaus Maria Brandauer.

Now I loved him in Szabos Colonel Redl and Mephisto, but as Caesar? Saying in his thick Deutsches accent

" Gentlemen! I zink ve shall invade Englant, no?" Oij Vey!

I just saw this last night. Oh my God. It's so bad it's actuaLLY FUNNY. Who the hell did Lambert's hair? While he has long been assigned to B movies, I was surprised to see Brandauer and Max von Sydow lend their part. They must have had a new house to paY FOR to accept the roles.

Brandauer actually has some zip and spark as Caesar. But it's obvious that Brandauer's a boozer and doesnt cut the trim and vital figure that Caesar should be. And how come he's the only Roman with a German accent?

See the movie, gang, just for laughs.

• 2 months later...

My favorite is Ciaran Hinds as Caesar in "Rome".

However, I think Rex Harrison did a good job in "Cleopatra". I also liked John Gavin as the young Julius Caesar in "Spartacus".

Somehow, I didn't care much for Gielgud's performance and I thought he was an excellent Cassius in the movie with Marlon Brando as Antony. I don't recall who played Caesar. I believe that performance was the worst Caesar I've ever seen. James Mason played Brutus in that film.

What about Colm Feore for physical appearance? The series (Empire) sucked beyond belief, but he does look the part. Good actor, too.

Colm%20Feore%20Julius%20Caesar-753315.jpg

This is the same person who played opposite Hopkins in "Titus"(as his cousin -correct me if I am mistaken), he was impressive in that film also.

I just saw this last night. Oh my God. It's so bad it's actuaLLY FUNNY. Who the hell did Lambert's hair? While he has long been assigned to B movies, I was surprised to see Brandauer and Max von Sydow lend their part. They must have had a new house to paY FOR to accept the roles.

Saw that horrible movie too...

I remember from "Caesar" only this - "he ;) .....Unleash.....the.....cavalry....u :D ...."

Edit : Remember Timothy Dalton's Caesar in Hollmark's Cleopatra ? He was 6 out of 10

post-2368-1168428908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII