UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Forts

Whenever a Legion is on campaign it builds an enclosed camp every night. Once the Legion is finished with the fortification, if it marches on to another location, what happens to the fort? Does it get pulled down? What prevents the locals from moving in?

I suspect GO had these items in mind..

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=958

I was tempted to say all the locals would be dead .

I was tempted to say all the locals would be dead .

Well said! ;)

Marius' mules would take the fort with them! As there are a thousand or so men I shouldn't have taken them too long, just a few hours perhaps?

I was tempted to say all the locals would be dead.

;)

Each soldier in marching order was carrying two stakes to erect the palisade around the camp. These would definitely be pulled up for the march afterward unless suitable timber was in abundant supply and the originals were not in good condition. Mind you, carrying two of those rain-soaked stakes on top of sixty pounds of gear was not going to be fun! Using stakes in this manner required preparedness and in some circumstances the legion would have to build a fort with whatever they found in the area. Roman engineers were keen to find sites that allowed this. These of course were marching forts, a temporary place for the romans to camp with reasonable safety. Permanent forts were built in a far more solid fashion (obviously) and were simply abandoned if no longer required.