UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Magister Militum

I am doing a research on Roman warfare, and I would like to have a list of Magistri Militum of the Roman Empire.

So I hope if anybody can share it to me.

Thank you very much!!

This is good. Thank you. But I need more information on the Magister Militum. I have been searching it on Wikipedia but only find an incomplete list of the magistri. I would like to have a complete one with detail information about the names and regions.

Are you looking just for names and regions? Or of what thier actual office did and the influence they had? An example is how in the East, the 5 Magistri, were hierarchy in two tiers. The two magistri praestrai(?) of equal standing and then below them the three regional ones, East, Illyricum and Thrace if I remember correctly of the top of my head. While in the West there were two, Magister et Peditum and Magister et Equitium, with at varying times there existed a Magister Militum per Gallium, (which is what Aetius was before he rose in rank), one for Britain for time to time... and the Infantry post was always higher in power and influence than the cavalry counterpart which it wasn't supposed to be and at times the slot of the cavalry commander was vacant for years. Just some examples, hope it helps and I will try to assit if you have other questions.

Thank you very much!

But I have a question...

a. There were magistri in the empire

b. There were magistri in some particular regions or provinces

c. There were magistri in every province

Which of the statement is correct?

Thank you very much!

But I have a question...

a. There were magistri in the empire

b. There were magistri in some particular regions or provinces

c. There were magistri in every province

Which of the statement is correct?

A and B are correct... again depending on which half of the empire or what needed attention. There were never Magistri for every province, more so, a region would encompass several provinces, or for example, the Magister per Thrace would obviously be Thrace but then his authority may extend into Macedonia and parts of Pannonia, just like that of the Magister per Illyricum, who would encompass Dalmatia, Macedonia, and Pannonia... the other two Magistri above them, (Praestraii), or in the company of the army of the emperor, could operate anywhere with authority, though only usually did so when the emperor was on campagin. The reason there existed one for all of the Eastern Provinces, (Asia, Syria, Egypt etc), was because you had but one threat, that of Persia and could concentrate there without needing others in other locations like Egypt for example because they were in realtive peace. In the Balkan area though, there was constant trouble and incrusions and so you needed to break down the command to more than one man to watch the Danube and guard the interior hence the need for two. I know this must all seem confusing if it's your first job into this subject, especially Late Roman topics.

A book I would suggest is one that has been reviewed for UNRV, it deals with the Western Roman Empire Magistri positions very well actually, since the topic is on the men who were the de facto rulers in the West and to be that, you had to be the Magister Militum Praestrai of the West (or Peditum). It's called "Generalissimos of the Western Roman Empire" by John Michael O'Flynn and the link for the review is here.

Once again I hope this helps and if you have more further questions or if you need me to clarify more, since I know I tend to ramble and lose focus... :thumbsup: I'll be more than happy to assist you. May I ask the reason for the research? School related or personal? If school... is this HS or College level?

Thank you!! I really want to see the book you suggest, but unluckily I am not living in USA and cannot make an order at Amazon. I guess I will have to look for it in bookstores =w=

Actually it is just for personal interest. Recently I am writing a story set in the Roman times, and would like to add in a role, Magister Militum. Fearing that the people, places and time do not make sense, I ask if anyone can give me some hints =]" The story is set in Antioch, by the way.