UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

No Country Is Perfect, But The U.s. System Is The Closest To Perfect,

phil25

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad we're in agreement Gaius. I always love responding to posts where, even if the interlocutor is wrong, you at least know he's sincere.

A slander! Gaius 'sincere'? Never! Yet, does Gaius detect a note of that old bit: "I can't respond to the interlocutor, thus I will announce, from my Ivory Tower, to the world, that he is wrong and have done with it."?

:D

Edited by Gaius Octavius

A slander! Gaius 'sincere'? Never! Yet, does Gaius detect a note of that old bit: "I can't respond to the interlocutor, thus I will announce, from my Ivory Tower, to the world, that he is wrong and have done with it."?

An insincere claim is not even wrong. If I say, "Oh, Gaius, you are never wrong!", there's no point in arguing "Oh, sure, I'm wrong now and then." It's obvious I believed that in the first place, so it's better to ignore the insincere claim as a mere waste of breath (or electrons).

Moonlapse,

As a US citizen, I would most appreciate if government in my country were less under control of Exxon, the defense contractors, and other large cooporations. If you want to know who's calling the shots in Washington, you need to know who's buying off the elected representatives of the US Congress.

I think this is the biggest problem that keeps the US system from being 'perfect.' Our system is bipolar, and in addition to that lobbies have enormous amounts of power. Ultra-capitalists will tell you that is a good thing, they will tell you that going with the money will always in the end benefit all. If that were the case then we'd all be in perfect health while we chain-smoke, eat fast food that we picked up with our hummers. Death to lobbyists.

An insincere claim is not even wrong. If I say, "Oh, Gaius, you are never wrong!", there's no point in arguing "Oh, sure, I'm wrong now and then." It's obvious I believed that in the first place, so it's better to ignore the insincere claim as a mere waste of breath (or electrons).

Hah?

Moonlapse,

As a US citizen, I would most appreciate if government in my country were less under control of Exxon, the defense contractors, and other large cooporations. If you want to know who's calling the shots in Washington, you need to know who's buying off the elected representatives of the US Congress.

I think this is the biggest problem that keeps the US system from being 'perfect.' Our system is bipolar, and in addition to that lobbies have enormous amounts of power. Ultra-capitalists will tell you that is a good thing, they will tell you that going with the money will always in the end benefit all. If that were the case then we'd all be in perfect health while we chain-smoke, eat fast food that we picked up with our hummers. Death to lobbyists.

So, what happens when the power that these corrupted politicians hold is transferred closer to the individual?

Gaius Octavianus

Romania is a democracy. It's a young one and it has a lot of problems, but this makes us more awere of what democracy is and it's limitations.

If people are moronic enough to vote for a former comunist leader with stalinist sympathies like Iliescu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Iliescu

or for a corrupt communist aristrocrat like Nastase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_N%C4%83stase

does not mean that there is no democracy.

In a democracy you can vote who you like, even an idiot like the americans did, twice... -_- (maybe he is not that stupid, but he looks stupid)

Which would the penultimate state be? (Now you're in the muck :D )

:lol:

I knew I'd get into deep water over this. Personally I think it all depends (1) whether you count Texas or not, (2) whether you can count at all. According to non-Texans I have spoken to, the US is still working on bringing civilization to Texas. Britain will have to wait.

And I can't count. It's well known.

In a democracy you can vote who you like, even an idiot like the americans did, twice... -_- (maybe he is not that stupid, but he looks stupid)

Here's one for all you Bush bashers out there, courtesy of the Onion :)

Bush Urges Nation To Be Quiet For A Minute While He Tries To Think

Alas, sorry for the non serious interlude.

Which would the penultimate state be? (Now you're in the muck :lol: )

:ph34r:

I knew I'd get into deep water over this. Personally I think it all depends (1) whether you count Texas or not, (2) whether you can count at all. According to non-Texans I have spoken to, the US is still working on bringing civilization to Texas. Britain will have to wait.

And I can't count. It's well known.

Now, now, Dr. Dalby, we both know that your response was a wee bit obfuscatory. But I'll never tell. :) Yet, in my generosity, I'll help you out of the 'muck'. ;) When the Republic of Texas was adlected into the U.S. Union, it had the option of becoming two states. -_- That, of course, is what you made reference to. :lol:

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Moonlapse,

So, what happens when the power that these corrupted politicians hold is transferred closer to the individual?

See now, in the Roman Republic this would be an issue, because these statesmen had so much more power in their offices. In the American Republic however, the checks and balances are quite good, enough such that if a man runs for office and the money teet of outside interests is cut off, he's left with performing the functions of his office with decisions that are the best for his constituency. All officials are still elected.

With money you can warp that with countless methods. Without that money, you are left with doing what is right for the people for their support, which is what they are bloody suppose to be doing.

Sure, somewhere down the line some shady bastard would thwart this setup, and then some rambunctious bastards like me will whine about it until an equitable balance is found, and the cycle continues. :)

See now, in the Roman Republic this would be an issue, because these statesmen had so much more power in their offices. In the American Republic however, the checks and balances are quite good, enough such that if a man runs for office and the money teet of outside interests is cut off, he's left with performing the functions of his office with decisions that are the best for his constituency. All officials are still elected.

With money you can warp that with countless methods. Without that money, you are left with doing what is right for the people for their support, which is what they are bloody suppose to be doing.

Sure, somewhere down the line some shady bastard would thwart this setup, and then some rambunctious bastards like me will whine about it until an equitable balance is found, and the cycle continues. :)

I don't understand exactly how that reply answers what would happen. I tend to think that if authority and responsibility were more localized, and individuals had more opportunity to represent themselves when it comes to decisions that affect them, the notion of 'buying politicians' would be drastically reduced. Sure, you also tend to lose precise standardization and homogenization of society, but I think that would be a good thing. Some people don't want to lose a system where the influence of a few - elected or not - is absolutely widespread, because it's hard to control self-automation.

Here's another question... why do we constantly pass more and more laws and regulations? When do we have enough laws? Also, since when did our judicial system (Supreme Court) obtain the power to create law instead of simply interpret law?

When law is interpreted, law is effectually created.

Homogenization of the citizenry has its benefits as it tends to prevent the Balkanization of a nation.

Diversity generates competition which generates growth. A homogenized society is a stagnant society and a stagnant society quickly becomes backward, resentful, self-destructive, and easily toppled by forces to which it has developed no immunity. This is one of the core principles behind the US policy of relatively open immigration, and why the prospect of restricting immigration to the US is unquestionably a suicidal one.