UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hadrian's Roman Soldiers 'had Military Tattoo'

Viggen

A pictorial exhibition exploring the history of tattooing in Britain is to go on display in the unlikely setting of Newcastle University's Museum of Antiquities (Tuesday 29 August). It's a little known fact, but it would appear that all of the legionaries and some of the auxiliaries on Hadrian's Wall would have had a tattoo', says the University's Director of Archaeological Museums and Roman expert, Lindsay Allason-Jones.

full article at Newcastle University

• 1 month later...

Being my own area of interest, Hadrian's Wall, I must say I missed this in the press but note that the display is on until Christmas. The Museum of Antiquities holds some very fine specimens but is not big and those visiting would only spend an hour or two there at most if interested in inscriptions etc. But this should be quite interesting.

I have never actually heard of a tatoo being worn by the soldiers on the Wall and I am surprised my wife says she has heard this somewhere. And I am the one with all the interest!!! ;)

Still, a visit shall be made forthwith!!

Edited by Augustus Caesar

It's news to me, but sounds plausible.

Anyone any ideas on WHERE the tattoo would be placed - arm, shoulder? Visible in uniform/armour, or covered?

Phil

Apparently the hand is a strong option. I've met Lyndsay on two occasions, being in the same neck of the woods, and she is highly skilled and most knowlegdable in this field. Part of her article I paste below...

'We do not know what this official mark looked like. It was possibly an eagle or the symbol of the soldier's legion or unit', she said.

Lindsay has even unearthed evidence that the legionaries would have sported the tattoo on their hands. Aetius, the 6th century Roman doctor, recording that tattoos were found on the hands of soldiers, even documented the Roman technique for tattooing, which included first washing the area to be tattooed with leek juice, known for its antiseptic properties. Aetius even went so far as to document the formula for the tattooing ink, which combined Egyptian pine wood (especially the bark), corroded bronze, gall and vitriol with more leek juice. The design was pricked into the skin with pointed needles 'until blood is drawn', and then the ink was rubbed on.

So there you have it. Not sure about the corroded bronze though!!!!!!