UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hub Of Etruscan Civilisation Found

Viggen

Archaeologists believe that they have found the ruins of the religious and political centre of the Etruscan civilisation. The Etruscans lived in the area between Rome and Florence from the 8th century BC until they were absorbed by Romans about 600 years later.

full article at the Times Online

Archaeologists believe that they have found the ruins of the religious and political centre of the Etruscan civilisation. The Etruscans lived in the area between Rome and Florence from the 8th century BC until they were absorbed by Romans about 600 years later.

full article at the Times Online

A famous expert of "etruscology", Omero Bordo, dismissed the news and said what was mistaken for the Fanum Voltumnae (ansa called it the Etruscan UN =)) is probably just a Lucumone (sort of supreme magistrate) tomb, or his family tomb. He explained that the location (today's Campo della Fiera) would be unusual for such an important place; according to him it would have been more reasonable to find the Fanum (of whose existence Bordo highly doubts) in important cities such as Tarquinia or Volterra...

Secondly, the etruscans considered the eternal sleep as sacred so according to Bordo they wouldn't have placed so many tombs around such a busy and chaotic political centre.

Moreover, the Fanum was the place where the concilia were held (in order to elect those who would have had the power) and apparently each Etruscan city had one. No unique political/religious centre then.

1900256986.jpg

Of course this is just Bordo's hypothesis and I'm not claiming he's right, I just wanted to add his version in addition to the "official" one. I hope what I wrote makes sense in English.

Edited by Silentium

Of course this is just Bordo's hypothesis and I'm not claiming he's right, I just wanted to add his version in addition to the "official" one. I hope what I wrote makes sense in English.

Perfect sense,

Thank you so much for the insight Silentium!

Well, I'm glad it was of interest (and comprehensible). :)

Apparently we will have to wait next summer's excavations to determine with precision the nature of the site (and hopefully confirm the news), at least that's what Simonetta Stopponi said.

I stopped by an old Etruscan burial ground when I was near Trevignano Romano a few weeks ago, very cool. I wish I had taken some pics

That's a very interesting area, Etruscan tombs, neolithic villages and the Orsini castle (not to mention the other medieval ruins in Trevignano itself and Anguillara).

Yea it would absolutely a great discovery. Where did they find that? Etruria?

Umbria, central Italy.