UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Your Hidden Roman Name

Nephele

Why thank you Nephele, that's very kind of you. As it stands my dad, and grandad, also had the exact same name as me.(I guess we weren't too imaginative about first name's, or as I'm guessing, that the first born male always gets the same first name.) Your offer is truely appreciated.

Alex

You're welcome, Alex. I hope the name I came up with for you does both you and your father proud.

You belong to the Aeternii, which is a variant of Aternii, making your family related to that of the 5th century B.C.E. consul, Aulus Aternius Varus Fontinalis.

Your cognomen is Donax, meaning "reed", perhaps adopted by your branch of the Aeternii to symbolize the family's ability to bend in the "wind" of change, and not be uprooted or broken by irresistible forces of fate.

Your praenomen is a rare Etruscan one -- Lar -- a name generally given to a first-born son and, as an honorary appellation in Etruscan, meaning the equivalent of "lord" in English. Your full Roman name is:

Lar Aeternius Donax

redlanexa jrodtena -dej +ius

-- Nephele

skiman305, you belong to the Maecilia gens, which gave birth to the noble Sp. Maecilius who served four terms as a Tribune of the Plebs in the 5th century B.C.E. Another noble ancestor of your gens was T. Maecilius Croto, a Lieutenant Legate who was entrusted by Ap. Claudius to receive the soldiers who survived Cannae and lead them to Sicily (Liv. 23.31.6).

Your cognomen is Trachalus, which may be derived from the name of the ancient town of Trachas (located southeast of Rome near the Pomptine Marshes), suggesting that your family's branch of the Maecilii may have come from that town.

Your praenomen is Publius, abbreviated as "P." and your full Roman name is:

P. Maecilius Trachalus

whialimcekrtplshaca -whk +uus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Ah, very cool, thanks so much. With all this mixing and matching of random letters into names, I bet you'd be killer at Boggle.

Monkey Boy, well, thanks for that information! In fact, you've inspired me: You belong to the Testii. :lol:

Your cognomen of Aper (meaning "boar") indicates that your ancestors (and perhaps you, too) were associated with Rome's Legio XX (20th Legion) which proudly carried the emblem of the wild boar.

Your praenomen is Titus, abbreviated as "T."

Your full Roman name is:

T. Testius Aper

ptustesitrar -r +e

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Monkey Boy, well, thanks for that information! In fact, you've inspired me: You belong to the Testii. :lol:

Hehe excellent work Nephele, how very fitting.

Trust you to kick a man when he's down :lol:

Hehe excellent work Nephele, how very fitting.

Trust you to kick a man when he's down :lol:

Yah, that's me! :lol:

As you can see, Monkey Boy, there's a lot of good-natured teasing here. If you prefer, I can blanagram you a different name. Welcome again, and see you around the board!

-- Nephele

malducato1, you belong to the same gens as did Crepereius Gallus, who served Agrippina, the mother of the Emperor Nero, and who was sadly killed during Nero's attempt to murder his own mother in a boating "accident". (As related by the historian Tacitus in his Annals, 14.1).

Your cognomen of Falacer indicates that your branch of the Crepereii regarded the obscure god Falacer as your patron deity. Your praenomen is the rare Faustus, abbreviated as "Faust."

Your full Roman name is:

Faust. Crepereius Falacer

rrfrpcaieafealteelceaf -aefl +usus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Fergalus Carolanii, you share the same gens with the Roman historian Granius Licinianus.

Your cognomen is "Falco", meaning "falcon", describing you as possessing the qualities of a bird of prey. In fact, "Falco" is the name by which you are best known by those who served with you in the Roman legions.

Your praenomen of Lucius is abbreviated as "L." Your full Roman name is:

L. Granius Falco

Fergal Carolan -era +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele