UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

'lucy's Baby' Found In Ethiopia

The 3.3-million-year-old fossilised remains of a human-like child have been unearthed in Ethiopia's Dikika region.

The female bones are from the species Australopithecus afarensis, which is popularly known from the adult skeleton nicknamed "Lucy".

Scientists are thrilled with the find, reported in the journal Nature.

BBC - Lucy's "Baby"

An interesting find! I remember reading about 'Lucy' a few years back, it's amazing that anthropolagists were able to recreate her final moments on earth with just a few fragments of bone. I think since then Ororin man (?) was named the oldest specemin of a hominid found (about 5 Million years ago).

An interesting find! I remember reading about 'Lucy' a few years back, it's amazing that anthropolagists were able to recreate her final moments on earth with just a few fragments of bone. I think since then Ororin man (?) was named the oldest specemin of a hominid found (about 5 Million years ago).

Actually Sahelanthropus Tchadensis is the oldest, or better known as the Toumai man of 7 million years.

Quite an amazing dicovery!

'Lucy's baby' actually lived 100,000 years before 'Lucy', who was discovered in 1974.

Lucy was named after the Beatle's song ' Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' which was playing on the radio as she was dug up.

Lucy was only 3ft 8in tall - while the new bundle of bones takes up no more space than a large melon