UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Masada- The Mini Series

Cohort

Have had the full mini series Masada for a couple of years now and recently watched it.

My view is, they had to make it watchable for the ho hum TV audience of the 80's...some sub plots are, well tedious, but the political meanderings, the scenery and once you get to Masada the camp life and siege is not bad at all. Has anyone seen to and what are your thoughts?

Is this the Peter O'Toole series from the 80s(?) which was screened in a movie version as "The Antagonists"?

I have the edited for film version, if so, and rate it quite highly.

I have seen in said that the scenes of Roman camp life in the mini-series - largely cut in the version I have on video - are some of the most precise and detailed made up to that time.

Phil

Is this the Peter O'Toole series from the 80s(?) which was screened in a movie version as "The Antagonists"?

Ahh, just watched it for my Masada project that I am doing for school. Drawn out a bit, I absolutely hated how they portrayed the Romans**, and how the sacarii zealots were goody-two-shoes. I would say it wasn't a very good portrayal of the current situations and social standings. Trust me on that! ;)

**(The zealots would never have been able to sabotage the Romanworks that much, the Romans weren't as foolish and ignorant as portrayed. (Hey, if they could climb the wall the Romans built around Masada, poison the goats and run back without being spotted, they should have won!))

Edit: Don't buy the series, borrow it from the library... make copies if you really like it.

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia