UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

...so Seneca Says To Nero...

spittle

In the first episode of the BBC Ancient Rome series, NERO, Seneca said something like:

"When your Father was Emperor he falsely accused me of adultery and I had to go into exile...."

Nero's biological father wasn't an Emperor so I assume he was refering to his mothers husband, and adoptive father, Claudius.

Are there any other possibilities to this dialogue?

Would Seneca have regarded Claudius has Nero's father?

Nero was adopted by Claudius and Claudius was the one that exiled Seneca. So essentially, yes, the line refers to Claudius. Recall that adoption was a very formal affair in the Roman world and that since one moves into the family line of his adoptive father, then that individual would definately be called the adoptee's father.

Yes, adoption among aristocratic Romans for familial alliances, issues of estate heredity etc was commonplace.

In this case, Nero's blood father Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus was dead by AD 40 when Nero was only about 3 years old. However, Nero was already about 13 years old when Agrippina married Claudius.

In general I suppose one problem is the translation from Latin to English of the word pater. We view the term quite strictly and differentiate between biological, adoptive and step parentage. The Latin word pater had far more connotations to it than the English word father and the Romans themselves were less strict regarding such familial connections.

Yes, adoption among aristocratic Romans for familial alliances, issues of estate heredity etc was commonplace.

In this case, Nero's blood father Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus was dead by AD 40 when Nero was only about 3 years old. However, Nero was already about 13 years old when Agrippina married Claudius.

In general I suppose one problem is the translation from Latin to English of the word pater. We view the term quite strictly and differentiate between biological, adoptive and step parentage. The Latin word pater had far more connotations to it than the English word father and the Romans themselves were less strict regarding such familial connections.

Yes, we (in Britain) make that difference if we're being precise. But, in the recent past, that wasn't true at all. Rather the other way round. Romans were always open about adoption. Until recently, British people often used to conceal the fact of adoption, so that some children grew up not knowing that they were adopted.

I prefer simply son. I hate it when people realize I am my sons step father and say "So he's only your step son then?" It belittles our commitment and attachment.

What happened between Claudius and Messalina?

Divorce or death?

I prefer simply son. I hate it when people realize I am my sons step father and say "So he's only your step son then?" It belittles our commitment and attachment.

What happened between Claudius and Messalina?

Divorce or death?

Yes, a very thoughtless way of speaking. You've taken on the job of fatherhood, he's taken on the job of "son-hood", and I'd say you both deserve 100% credit!

I think Claudius had Messalina executed, didn't he? With good reason, by most accounts ...