UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Fetials, Priests of War

The Fetials were a small collection of priests who's responsibility it was to conduct the rites involved with declaring war on another nation. They seemed to have functioned with importance in the early years of Rome, but gradually lost their application as the Republic fell and Empire remained, although Augustus may have tried to revive the order. There was an area of land of one the temples...Bellona? that was considered to be foreign territory so that these priests could conduct the ritual when Rome declared war on a distant enemy.

"Since Numa had instituted religious practices in time of peace, so Ancus Marcius provided a ceremonial for war that wars might not only be waged but also declared with some form of ritual. So he adopted from the ancient people of the Aequicolae the law that the fetials now have by which a state demands redress for an act of hostility. When the legate arrives at the frontier of those from whom redress is demanded, he covers his head with a woolen cap and says: 'Hear, Jupiter, hear, boundaries of ___ let divine law hear! I am the official herald of the Roman people. I come in the name of justice and religion; let there be trust in my words.' Then he recites his demands. Next he takes Jupiter to witness: 'If I unjustly or impiously demand that this property and these men be surrendered to me, then never let me have enjoyment of my native land.'

He recites these words when he crosses the boundary line, again to the first person he meets, again when entering the town gate, and again when he has entered the market-place, with only a few changes in the formula and wording of the oath. If his demands are not met at the end of thirty-three days (for this is the conventional number), he declares war as follows: 'Hear Jupiter and you gods of the underworld, hear! I call you to witness that this people ____ is unjust and does not make just reparation. But regarding these matters we will consult the elders in our fatherland, how we may obtain our due.' Then the legate returns to Rome for the consultation."

-Livy 1.32.6-14

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by veto. Not in the Tribune sense, but I am sure they could influence the passing of the treaty by the time honored Roman political tactic of saying that the proper rites associated with the rituals of treaty acceptance were not properly conducted, or that a sign from the gods was noted when the ceremony was underway.

• 10 months later...

this is actually depicted in the 60s epic film "Cleopatra".

Octavian - Roddy McDowell) picks up the war-spear (so-called) in the curia and marches out onto the steps, followed by the senators. He demands of the people gathered in the Forum, where is the enemy. They shout "Egypt!". Octavian asks "Where is Egypt?". the crowd all point, but he says, "No - there is Egypt!".

He then hurls the spear into Cleopatra's mentor and envoy Sosogenes (Hume Cronyn), killing him.

Dramatised no doubt, but the idea was definitely there.

Phil

These ceremonies took place quickly, it wouldn't take much organising. So these fetials were a sort of religious herald?

I notice that warfare in the earlier periods was therefore ritualised to some extent. Not really suprising I suppose - we see the same behaviour in other cultures too. What is more revealing is that these rituals are dispensed with in later periods because its more convenient and efficient to forget all that messing around and simply get on with it (as opposed to.. say... samurai culture which saw increasing ritual with decreasing frequency of war)

It therefore appears to me that war was becoming less of a glorious calling and more of a bloody business to be dealt with.

I still would never like to have that job :wine:

Going to an enemy capitol

carrying a spear

loudly declaring war

geez what was their life expectancy anyway? :(

no wonder they gave up this ritual

Heh. Ya, the ritual dates back to a time when you could potentially run back to the city behind the walls all in a day's time. Back when war was typically declared on a nearby city or town which held similar rites, rituals and background.

I guess that was also back when the Romans were actually worried that the Gods might not be on their side.

:D

on a related note

Dont most historians believe the Gallic sack of Rome was the turning point that sent them on their amazing series of conquests?

So was this the Pre-Gallic sack way of declaring war?

The ritualistic way before war got "serious" for the Romans.

what do you think?

Well, I'm not sure it relates in any way to the Fetials, but you are right many do believe that the sack of Rome was a turning point. I've been looking for a thread where we might have talked about this concept formally, but can't find one. Truth is it's probably been discussed in unrelated threads. Maybe start one to discuss the idea if you are interested? :D