UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Prosopography Of The Antonines And The Severans , A Problem

Caesar CXXXVII

Hi

First let me say that English isn't my language

I am very interesting in getting a full knowledge about the Prosopography of the Antonines and Severans . but alas , in contrast to the periods that follow the Severans (PLRE I , II , III) there is no such Prosopography for their ages . to be more exact , there is no such Proso' in english but in German (G. Alfoldy, Konsulat und Senatorstand unter den Antoninen. Prosopographische Untersuchungen zur senatorischen Fuhrungsschicht , Bonn, 1987) and in Duch (P. Leunissien, Konsuln und Konsulare und der Zeit von Commodus bis Severus Alexander (180-235 n.Chr.). Prosopographische Untersuchungen zur senatorischen Elite im romischen Kaiserreich , Amsterdam, 1989) apart from summary in English , "Consuls and Consulars under the Antonines: Prosopography and History." Ancient Society 7 (1976), 263-99 .

I can't read German or Duch...and can't get Alfoldy's article .

Any suggestions (apart from learning German and Duch...) ?

Ronald Symes Roman Papers are supposed to be prosopography studies.

I asked on a previous thread about these books and it was the first time I had ever actually heard of Prosopography but thats what I was told Syme wrote about.

Its under Colliseum, Libra, 'Roman Papers by Syme'. If. as i suspect. you are well aware of Syme but he neglected your specific area, soryy to have waisted your time.

Indeed Syme is the "father" of Roman Imperial prosopography . I have read many of his works but , again , he and many others didn't touch Antoninus Pius , Commodus and the last Severans systematicly (that is , in the same level of detail as PLRE for later periods) .

Thanks for the link

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII