UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Meru, Marble, Murus And Merlo.

chimera

"Xerxes I, Darius' son, accepted his father's ambitions as his own. He continued both the struggle against Greece and the building of Persepolis. In gray marble symmetry, the palace city rose on a stone platform 40 feet high, 1,500 feet long and 900 wide. Every building demonstrated the eclectic Persian taste in architecture, combined and refined with the best of Greek, Assyrian and Egyptian styles"_

The ancient IE mountain of Brahma and Indra was Meru, of gold and jewels, seen in "Marici" /Eos/Aurora of the sun. Marble<Gk."marmaros" meaning shining stone, was used at Persepolis, where IndoIranian Brahminism fused with Zoroastrian ideas about Mithra. The new Mount Hara was equivalent to Meru, and Saka Persian Buddhists referred to Hara as Sumeru, "su" surya being "sun". The Roman form of Mithras indicates contact with Persian culture, and Mithradates kings appeared in Asia Minor after Persia's conquests. Meru was amid 7 ring mountains (L."murus" wall?) , (7 hillsof Rome?) , or mountains in square layout, and built in different cultures as a square temple of the 4 compass points. This is seen in Norman-French "merlo" corner-towers of castle-battlement, and thus in Gothic cathedrals with 4 corner-towers on the steeple.

Question: where is the error in this?

chimera

OK it's a brief post, not a book. It lists bare facts, trying to avoid supposition. As a supporting parallel, here is a quote on persistent tradition:_

"Architecture is very derivative. Most architects use precedent to design their work.

Thomas Jefferson designed the Virginia State Capitol, modelling it after a pagan roman temple (in france) now called the maison Carre, and thus establishing classical roman architecture as the standard for American civic architecture

The Maison Carre

The Virginia State Capitol, as it was when first completed.

He did this because he felt that other contemporary styles were tainted by associations with monarchy, and sought to reference the purity of the style of government in republican rome.

The Curia of Rome (where the senate met) were nondescript buildings, and rarely survived until the 18th century. Most of them fell down, or were converted into churches. Not surprisingly, Jefferson used the more grandiose religious architecture of Rome, because that was what was around to see.The great dome of the Capitol in Washington DC resembles the great dome of St Paul's in London, or St Genevieve's in Paris more than anything else.

St Paul's

St' Genevieve's

Both of them predate the addition of the current dome on the US capitol building.

So, in short, Jefferson saw America's republic as a rebirth of Rome's republic. Hence the architecture (and the eagle, by the way)".(end quote).

Tradition from 2000 years ago and another continent is easily accepted today.

chimera

I think a little clarity is needed here ,are we to asssume that the suggestion is that Jefferson as a Deist mimicked the sacred architecture of Rome to invoke the spirit of Democracy?

I think a little clarity is needed here ,are we to asssume that the suggestion is that Jefferson as a Deist mimicked the sacred architecture of Rome to invoke the spirit of Democracy?

I'm in agreement with Pertinax here. It was no secret that many of the American "Founding Fathers" held great admiration for Republican Rome. Adopting pieces of Roman culture as symbols of the early American Republic is based more upon logical association than a veiled transferance of Mithraism. Perhaps we are misunderstanding the original premise so feel free to correct our presumptions.

Yes. But also, NASA used Greek gods for a reason - it all still resonates with people. Just as we understand the "language" of Rome, they understood Greece and imported art and artists to make it happen. Logically, Greece in turn referred back, and apparently had common ideas with Brahmins who got their act together 1500-500BC.

Hurrians and others in N Mesopotamia had Brahmin Vedic gods from 1400BC, in Hittite culture. The US Eagle with olive-branch (Noah's Flood) shows the antiquity of modern symbols which generate real acts (such as in Iraq, of ancient people of Brahmins).

chimera

I am glad that others are just as confused as I about this whole thread! ;)

What exactly is the point behind the opening post? What argument is Chimera setting before us? Why does he ask if there is 'an error'? Is this a continuation of the 'Why Marble' thread? - I was confused with that one too! :)

My point is the persistence of IE tradition, as with IE languages' persistence today. As a poetic image, US has circled back to Iraq near the IE steppes region where Brahmins developed the concept of the world-mountain of governance, and Marici sun-goddess of knowledge. It interests me that an ideal of world order , expressed in Angkor Wat of Brahmins in Cambodia, has now become realised in UN. A consistency of practice might be identified in Persian, Greek and Roman buildings of international rulership, possibly based on the Meru logo.

chimera

"There are three arts which are concerned with all things: one which uses, another which makes, and a third which imitates them." - Plato, The Republic

Chimera, have you tried starting a thread on this topic over at Graham Hancock's forum? I bet you'll find a lot of members sympathetic to your investigation there. :whistling:

Perhaps this is really a reference to the "golden mean" as a recurring thematic idea, due to its appeal to the eye?

Early water-courses set the path for later streams and rivers. Some concepts are compulsive, such as vertical walls. Others are deliberately chosen. Mount Meru was perceived by early Brahmins as the north pole /fixed Pole Star around which the earth's territory is centered. It is notable that the UN symbol is the north pole view as a neutral panorama, and with the deliberate addition of the olive-branch of several thousand years' tradition.

The god Brahma<IE brih "expand.fructify.praise" is seen in German god /brahm/ Bram of Donar, OE breme "high.famous.noble" and OSw.bram "state.pomp". "State.thunder (donner)" persisted as "reich.blitz" of Nazis, as mental concepts. European "mur" as "wall" , and "merlo" as "corner towers of battlement" indicate the persistence of words, images and power symbols. Included in that may be marble temples, praising the sun.

chimera