UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Another Pompeii Restoration

Ludovicus

Not to mince about then, wasnt the most valued sexual encounter (in terms of sexual dominance vis a vis the idea of "submissive effeminacy/masculine (Roman) virility) therefore that of oral sexual encounter, and secondly the feminine partner in a "superior" (physical) position?

I leave this short and sweet, as we can probably incorporate other necro threads relating to sexual mores (same sex relationships in the ancient world is the most obvious) within "antique" civilisations in relation to gender politics...

Haver away!

Interesting point. Yes, so far as I can judge from literary texts (and this sort of thing does rather depend on Martial, who wrote about sex so often), any kind of sexual penetration was felt as degrading to the penetrated, but oral sex (I mean fellatio) was considered by far the most degrading of all. So the average Roman male (not a slave-owner: mathematically, you'd have to be above average to be a slave owner) would have to pay someone, e.g. visit a brothel, for oral sex.

Necro?

I must define necro-"Necro thread"...a thread that has ceased to breathe...inactive but unclosed.

There have been some threads relating to sexuality previously-"homosexuality" and the misapplication of that term to same sex (but often different age) "relationships" in the Ancient World .

It would be interesting to see if the "Dining Position" work that AD is reading has any allusions to the progression from dining to sexual activity, and if one activity informed the other in any way (outside of the commercial sexual transaction).