UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

If time regorges...

G.J.Caesar

Copies of the missing books of Tacitus - because they would give us so much information.

The same, if possible for pro-Antonian memoirs and histories of the late republic and the civil wars; any of the writings of Claudius as an historian; missing works of Cicero, Livy etc.

If I could go to Pompeii I'd like to understand better the use of the so-called Building of Eumachia (apparently a fuller's exchange), the Basilica and the (again so-called) temple of the Lares (which may have been a public library).

In Herculaneum, I'd like to meet the family of Marcus Nonius Balbus - not least the formidable Vaciria; and see who lived in my absolute favourite Roman house, now called the House of the Mosaic Atrium.

If I could observe safely, I'd like to be in Rome on the day of Caesar's assassination and watch events unfold.

I'd also like to gain greater insight into the motivations of Gaius (Caligula) - was he insane or has he just been misunderstood.

Is that too much?

Phil

Imagine that one day you've got a chance to go back to ancient Rome.

What's the first or the most thing you want to do? And explain why.

Welcome, GJC. Do your multi-coloured posts have a significance? :lol:

I will keep it simple: I would sit on a stone garden seat with Livia and chew the fat with her while enjoying her daily recommendation of a cup of unwatered Pucine wine. And if I could do anything to change history, I would literally club Agrippa over the head to knock him out, rather than let him go to Pannonia on that fateful last campaign. :lol:

And if I could do anything to change history, I would literally club Agrippa over the head to knock him out, rather than let him go to Pannonia on that fateful last campaign. :lol:

Don't mess with history, man...that'll only get you into trouble. :lol:

As for me: take recording equipment, and accurately document the language of the people! I think AD would have to come with me, to cover more ground...but we could do an accurate linguistic grammar and transcription of how the Romans--as well as the provincials!--actually spoke! Oh man, the possibilities!

Or...take it one step further...accurately portray what life was like for various people...what was a plebian's life like, or that of a patrician (although I'm sure our records are pretty accurate on that one), in the countryside and in the great city itself...ooooooooooh I'm drooling at the prospects...

Welcome, GJC. Do your multi-coloured posts have a significance? :lol:

The coloured words are for emphasis, and also for fun. I think it will be very boring to read a long paragraph

which with a fusty pattern. :lol:

If I could observe safely, I'd like to be in Rome on the day of Caesar's assassination and watch events unfold.

Sounds interesting. - -|||

I'd rather have a talk with Julius Caesar. Discuss everything about life and Rome.(it's better if Caesar could speak Chinese :lol: )

And I also want to pay a visit to Egypt, to have dinner with Cleopatra, sharing the delicious food and enjoy the nocturne of the Nile.

On the Back-to-the-Future premise that changing one's own history can be hazardous to one's existence, I'd have loved to have joined Cato in watching the prosecution of Verres. That was a great day for the republic.

If I were to ignore the Back-to-the-Future premise, then I'd go straight to Bibulus to warn him of Caesar's crossing at Brundisium, and then I'd try to convince Labienus to deploy his cavlary in squadrons rather than en masse. The whole civil war could have ended quickly had Caesar been intercepted off Brundisium or had Labienus' cavalry not been so ill-organized in their attack. A quick end to that civil war could have given the republic the time it needed to begin the hard work of reforming the system.

Id help Pantagathus with the drinking and take in a few fast food outlets. Certainly I'd hope to try the seafood around Baiae. Without doubt I would want some seed heads from the Silphium plant .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silphium

please note AD's reference in the entry!

Imagine that one day you've got a chance to go back to ancient Rome.

What's the first or the most thing you want to do? And explain why.

1 - Find someone who speaks english

2 - Find people who won't rip me off

3 - Find somewhere to stay (should be fun)

4 - Enjoy the sights

5 - Go to the arena - (not because I enjoy death and injury, I just want to know exactly what went on)

6 - Go to a tavern for a primitive burger, warm diluted wine, a bit of gambling, and hopefully a good time without getting beaten up

7 - Observe the military doing military things

8 - Take as many photo's as possible without being crucified for witchcraft or whatever

9 - Get home in one piece

10 - Upset everyone by being a clever clogs

11 - Bore everyone with reminisences

12 - Make an absolute fortune with books and tv.

There, that should do it.