UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Question about Constantine

Lost_Warrior

I found this snippet in a book about witchcraft (NOT known for being great sources of historical truth, those books are). It stood out to me as being "something not right" although I don't actually know the correct course of events. (Besides that, the author has already made blatant factual mistakes elsewhere in the book.)

From Advanced Witchcraft by Edain McCoy:

Some Moors tried to adopt the Eastern Orthodox faith as codified by the Emporer Constantine (274-337) who, though raised as a Roman Pagan who worshipped Sol, eventually converted to Christianity and, from his seat of power in what is now modern-day Turkey, split the church in two pieces: the Eastern Orthodox, of which constantine was the supreme ruler, and Catholicism, which adhered to the edicts of the pope in Rome.

My thoughts are, that the church was not split at this point. I had no idea that, at the time of the "first Christian emporer" there was ever even a Pope in Rome. I had been under the assumption that when Constantine converted to Christianity, all he did was encourage (or not) Christianity in Rome and end most of the persecution against Christians.

[edited to add] I had thought that this should be in the Empire folder because it is about Constantine but on second glance, maybe it would be better in the Religion folder. If so, would someone kindly move it? Thanks ;)

Edited by Lost_Warrior

You are right. Constantine didn't fully convert to Christianity until he was on his deathbed, he still had pagan sympathies throughout his reign. There could not have been a splitting of the Churches during Constantine's lifetime as Christianity didn't even become the official religion of the Empire until 394, under Theodosius the Great.

There were splits in the early church, such as Arianism, but catholisism came much later after the west had fallen. The Pope did exist, but he was just called the bishop, and later patriach of Rome (the city) the 'barbarians' called him Pope and denying the authority of the patriachs of Constantinople, Jerusalem, Alexandria and I think Ephesus or maybe Antioch. DC is right, Constantine only converted on his deathbed, and he certainly favored the christians.

Actually those little crescent moons are the symbol of the publisher, Lewellyn, a company rather notorious for the questionable content of its books. There are a few good witchcraft books out there that seem to have a good grasp on history, but as usual, they are no where to be found :D

I thought so. As my mom put it, Constantine fully converted only to "cover all his bases" for the afterlife :D

:D There was also the matter of unifying the empire after the civil war, which was close to ruin. At that time christianity was nothing more than a collection of individual churches and cults (much the same as islam declares itself to be today, and there are some similarities in organiational terms). Many of them were there to exploit their parishioners - there are tales of very wealthy christian leaders. However, christianity was becoming more popular and since it espoused a single god, Constantine decided he would use christianity as a method of tying the empire together again under one religion, hence the Council of Nicaea. Actually he failed in that respect because christianity remained prone to heretical cults, but it helped. It should also be remembered that Constantine tried to get one of his relatives worshipped as Jesus. As for that vision of a cross before the battle - Sorry, Constantine, you weren't exactly being honest were you?

Constantine was outrageous. He really was.