UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Imperialism.

WotWotius

Salve good fellows.

I have recently been set an essay on the rise of Roman Imperialism, and though it seems fairly straight forward, I was wondering if you would voice your views on the question.

The question itself is as follows: 'In what ways were key individuals crucial to creation of an overseas empire (discus with reference to particular individuals)?'

The individuals I will refer to would probably be Flaminanus (as an example of Roman 'diplomacy'), Cato Major (as an example of the 'Roman interests must be protected no matter what the human cost' approach to foreign policy), and Scipio Aemilianus (as an example of military vigour).

Keep in mind that I am not asking you to do the essay for me; I am merely asking for your opinions.

I will post more on the topic when I have got some sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Human behaviour revolves around a group, a family, a tribe. We are after all social animals. Most of us soon find a staus quo that we're happy with. Where large changes occur, then key individuals rise to the fore, either because they are natural leaders or simply because there isn't anyone else to do the job. They are if you like the alpha members of the herd. Perhaps there's more to this. Brute force and ignorance can still achieve success but it requires a certain amount of talent, intelligence, cunning, courage - and yes, even luck - to be a great success. Necessity is an important reason why these changes happen. The other reason is personal gain. If a man stands to be rewarded for taking a risk, he is more likely to take the plunge is he not?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have recently been set an essay on the rise of Roman Imperialism, and though it seems fairly straight forward, I was wondering if you would voice your views on the question.

The question itself is as follows: 'In what ways were key individuals crucial to creation of an overseas empire (discus with reference to particular individuals)?'

After reading your essay, I'm wondering if you've changed topics. You've discussed two competing theories on the rise of Roman imperialism, but you've not explained how particular individuals were crucial to the creation of an overseas empire.

Nice work WW.

How did you fair on the grades front?

A high first (I also added information of the ins and outs of the Roman political system and client kingdoms before coming to a conclusion; however, this is not in the above post).

Nice work WW.

How did you fair on the grades front?

A high first (I also added information of the ins and outs of the Roman political system and client kingdoms before coming to a conclusion; however, this is not in the above post).

Congratulations :smartass: