UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Sons of Caesar

spittle

Has anyone read (or had recommended/ been discouraged from reading) The Sons of Caesar: Imperial Romes First Dynasty by Philip Matyszac (sic- surname).

Its only 300 pages and covers from G J C to 69AD (catchy jingle!) so I am concerned that it must surely be low on specifics and barely cover the major events.

There is no customer review on Amazon and I take with a pinch of salt the Amazon synopsis.

I have it, read it and enjoyed it.

I think I recommended it in a thread at the time.

Hardly the greatest book ever, nor groundbreaking, but a good read, interesting and worthwhile. I don't recall it annoying me with inaccuracies, and in tracing descent, it mirrored somewhat a theme I was personally exploring at that time.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Cheers Phil. It helps.

I have just ordered Richard Hollands: Augustus. I decided to go with individual biographies of the Julio-Claudians. Maybe I'll read Sons of Caesar after completing these various books so as to 'wrap up' the subject before moving onto 69AD: The Year of Four Emperors and other works devoted to Vespasian onwards. (The Flavians?).

I was curious about this book too, as it's been floating around on my Amazon wishlist for quite some time. I had read Philip Matyszack's other book on the Roman Republic which I thought was good (it wasn't in depth but it was worth reading or browsing through to check up facts).

I might eventually buy this one as a supplement to Tacitus and Suetonius.