UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Atlas of the Roman World

Pertinax

Work has prevented me from posting or reading lately, however I have found time to look at this volume-mainly because it is very nicely illustrated and easy on the eye.The book contains copious maps and illustrative diagrams, ( a very neat one of the Water Mills of Barbegal (near Arles) as an example in the "mills and technology " section ) .Not the most scholarly volume perhaps, though I do not dismiss the quality of the text , but a very handsome present for the Romanophile in the family who wants a well presented bedside or coffee table book.

Is this a new edition of the atlas book that was published in the seventies or is it a new book completly?

Sounds very interesting, I might give it a look.

The Edition I have is dated 2006, and a smart glossy piece of work it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish to add my voice to that of Pertinax in praise of this nifty atlas.

If you have a younger person ( about 11 + years-old) in the family who seems to be disposed toward history, I'd give them this book. It is well put together with lots of pictures, diagrams and maps. It touches on many aspects of roman life, not very deeply, but always well written with no gross errors.

For older and more experienced historians, its a slick source of illustrations that can help visualization or be scanned to aid in a lecture. I use it as one of my pullout books when I'm starting a project and need an illustrative starting point.