UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Geography of History Buffs

CiceroD

Looking back at the polls for where everyone is from I am actually quite surprised at the results.

As History Buffs we are ceratinly a distinct breed.

But I always assumed that most would follow subjects of their nations past.

looking around me (In the States) feel awash in WWII and Civil War buffs and therefore felt really weird

I always assumed that there would be far more British and other European Romanophiles.

considering that they live in lands with a memory of Roman rule.

so In a nutshell Im asking

(to other Americans) Am I right that we Romanophiles are in the minority?

(and to Members from the rest of the Earth) What topic occupy most of your History buffs?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always assumed that there would be far more British and other European Romanophiles.

considering that they live in lands with a memory of Roman rule.

How many other nations have a Society of the Cincinnatus in their past?

From where did the Founding Fathers draw their ideas of government?

Perhaps you should broaden your definition of "memory of Roman rule." ;)

Edited by Marcus Caelius

Even with all the Roman sites around Britain, I have never met another person with an intrest in Roman History. Most people in Britain; if they have any knowledge of history, prefer the history of the Second World War to Ancient Rome. A majority of the Roman sites are not as imposing as Medieval castles, so I am not surprised to see a lot of people who show more intrest in the Middle Ages.

I read that one history magazine had made a survey; where they found out that 20th century and Medieval history were the most read about periods in Britain. I don't know where ancient/Roman history turned up on the list, but It is obvious that the period isn't that well known in Britain.

I am genuinely surprised DecimusCaesar.

Although now I think about that it makes sense. The castles would get far more attention.

though maybe the area around Bath has a higher per capita rate of Rome enthusiasts.

Ursus, how many Civil War fanatics do you know. I feel like I'm up to my armpits in them. It doesnt help that I'm sort of close to Gettysburg :D

Classical history is in recession right now and pretty much all classics historians have stated this. I think it's sad but I'm also not surprised. It was a long long time ago and many like the history they can most connect with. For me, Roman history is my main buff but i also love reading about the history of the Balkans, since I am from there.

looking around me (In the States) feel awash in WWII and Civil War buffs and therefore felt really weird

(and to Members from the rest of the Earth) What topic occupy most of your History buffs?

In North Carolina and Virginia there was a big interest in the Civil War of course, otherwise I think WWII stands pretty tall in most other history buffs who I know. I do think Romanophiles who strictly concentrate on that subject are in a minority, but as far as those with history degrees I think there's still a healthy interest in the field as amateur dabblers.

For me Rome isn't my only historical interest. I'm equally at home reading Russian history, early US, economic histories and have been known to go on a bender and sink my teeth into a few Civil War or WWII tomes. Some of the best histories and memoirs I've read come from the Civil War. Grants memoir especially is required reading for any follower of military history. In fact between the two, the CW and WWII, they've generated some of the greatest works of history I've ever read.

I believe that the more one reads of history outside of Rome's--including social, economic and military drives and 'great men' from all ages--the better one can analyze Romans and their place within the realm of human history.

I'm probably more adept and focused on Rome recently due solely to the existence of UNRV, a debt I owe this forum.

The Civil War does seem the era of choice for Americans.

It was definitive. The Civil War has been called "The Last Battle of the Revolution." I'll venture that most peoples have such moments in their histories, and those moments are their "eras of choice."

From where did the Founding Fathers draw their ideas of government?

Perhaps you should broaden your definition of "memory of Roman rule." :D

I was going to say something along similar lines... My family is originally from the Tidewater area of Virginia and has been there for a long time. That being said, Colonial & Revolutionary era US history is very important to my family's collective memory. Interestingly enough, this focus on the early years of our own country seemed to naturally carry with it an ingrained fascination with the Classical (Greco-Roman) world.

In the last couple of generations, all of these names can be found on my father

However, I definitely feel that I am in a very small minority as an American Romanophile. Most of me look at me like I am an arrogant smart-aleck when I try to make an analogy between current events and something from the Classical past.

I think maybe "we" expect too much of the Great Unwashed. Most people have their hands full, just trying to house, clothe and feed their families. They need a certain body of knowledge to do this, and even a passing acquaintance with ancient history usually isn't it.

Question: How knowledgable was the average Roman-in-the-street about Greek history, literature, etc?

:) I think the low interest in the classics lies somewhere else.

(If there's enough time for Civil War or medieval history there should be enough time for the classics!)

I think it lies in the lack of time its taught in schools. I remember covering the Roman Republic IN ONE DAY!

More Roman related games movies and TV shows wouldn't hurt either

any other theories as to this drought of Graeco-Roman interest?

:) I think the low interest in the classics lies somewhere else.

(If there's enough time for Civil War or medieval history there should be enough time for the classics!)

I think it lies in the lack of time its taught in schools. I remember covering the Roman Republic IN ONE DAY!

More Roman related games movies and TV shows wouldn't hurt either

any other theories as to this drought of Graeco-Roman interest?

I think it is the simplicity of direct culture. While we as Romanophiles can understand the impact of Roman civilization on the 'western world' whether it be Europe, the USA or Australia. The average person more easily identifies with the history that follows a direct lineage in their own place of origin.

While I believe that introducing students to ancient history in primary school would help them identify more readily, I still think the 'national' histories would take precedence in the hearts and minds. And of course, we have to take into account the unfortunate truth that most elementary and pre-university teachers have little to any practical knowledge beyond a basic introduction to these events.

While I believe that introducing students to ancient history in primary school...

We already do. The first report I remember giving, probably in 6th grade, was on the Roman Empire. Couple of years ago, I was rumaging through some books that survived from my parents' library and I came across an organizational chart I had drawn of a Marian legion, stuck between the pages of a Bible dictionary; I vaguely remember drawing it about the time I was in 9th grade.