UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Augustus - The opposition

Caesar CXXXVII

The ancient historians talked about 7 (if I am correct) conspiracies against Augustus between 31/30 BCE and AD 14 . The problem is that we have only fragments of Dio cassius' work , Tacitus did not write the history of Augustus reign , Livy's books are lost , Nicolaus of Damascus did not reffer to the subject , Plutarchus' work on Augustus is lost etc' , so we do not have the detailes .

Any information is welcome .

I will start from the "first" conspiracy as showed by Ronald Syme in his works .

At the end of 31 BCE , Marcus Aemilius Lepidus (The son of the Triumvir) conspired with his men to kill Octavianus when he return from Egypt . Octavianus recived information about the conspirscy and left Egypt although Antonius is still alive and active .

In Rome , Maecenas decide to act against Lepidus before Octavianus arrival , He ordered Lepidus and his wife Servilia's (the daughter of the Consular Servilius Isauricus and the former fiancee of Octavianus!!!) execution and crashed the conspirators . Any sign of the conspiracy is silenced by Maecenas . Now Maecenas wanted to kill Iunia , Lepidus' mother but she is saved by the Consul sufectus designatus (for 30 BCE) , Lucius Saenius .

Octavianus landed in Brundizium and left Italy after 13 days .

The End of "The first conspiracy against Augustus" .

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII

The Second "conspiracy" -

April 29 BCE - Gaius Cornelius Gallus the Praefectus Egyptus begins to write his name on the Pyramids and to distribute his statues all over Egypt .

28 - One , Valerius Largus informed Octavianus about Gallus' acts , Gallus is called by Octavianus and removed from his post .

At the end of 29 BCE , Marcus Licinius Crassus (the grandson of the known Crassus) is proclaimed Imperator by his soldiers in Macedonia . Octavianus took the title from Crassus to himself (for the 7th time) .

At the end of 28 BCE , Crassus demand for the Spolia Opima is rejected by Ocatvianus . The two starts to argue for a long time about it . Crassus' Triumph is postponed (my English) because of the disagreement . Now , Crassus' cousin (Licinia) is the wife of Gallus !!!

07.04.27 BCE - Crassus' Triumph With Augustus . At the end of the celebration Crassus disappeared !

(probably killed by Augustus men) .

The end of 27 - Gallus is accused (by Augustus men) that he have done ....(Lacuna) . One of the accusations is that he gave shelter (in 28 , at Egypt) to Quintus Caecilius Epirota , Caecilia Atica Pomponia's (Agrripa's wife !!) lover . The Senate brings Gallus to a public trial , finds him guilty and sentence him to exile etc' . Gallus killed himself . Largus (the above) is excommunicated by the people (who apparently preferred Gallus and Crassus) . The Crassus-Gallus faction is dead .

The end of the "second conspiracy against Augustus" .

Hmmm... Some of this sounds like normal roman electioneering rather than conspiracy. People who conspire to overthrow do not advertise. They daren't. Once the enemy cottons on its curtains! On the other hand, in a peaceful quiet time, it might not be unusual for individuals to mount a political campaign. To create serious opposition. That sort of thing is normal for us too - look what happens in british politics. Is this sort of thing normal roman ambition or are we reading about real conspiracy? I'm not sure.

Hmmm... Some of this sounds like normal roman electioneering rather than conspiracy. People who conspire to overthrow do not advertise. They daren't. Once the enemy cottons on its curtains! On the other hand, in a peaceful quiet time, it might not be unusual for individuals to mount a political campaign. To create serious opposition. That sort of thing is normal for us too - look what happens in british politics. Is this sort of thing normal roman ambition or are we reading about real conspiracy? I'm not sure.

Yes .

So , I am using the word "conspiracy" and not conspiracy .

But , the important thing is that Augustus saw it as a conspiracies , and had them killed .

But , the important thing is that Augustus saw it as a conspiracies , and had them killed .

This is purely my personal opinion, Caesar137, but I believe Augustus stepped in quickly with these men to avoid a growth of the factions that he had lived through himself in the civil wars of 44-31BC. Gallus, for instance, was making himself popular in Egypt as Prefect. He would do the same (and I apologise if I am pre-empting you here) with Egnatius Rufus and his fire brigade. Agrippa was the prime example of the self-deprecating servant and Augustus expected others to be the same. Augustus had not won sole power and concentrated all old magistracies into his single person for nothing. I honestly believe that his first rule was to avoid the factional conflicts that had killed the old republic, and this was his way of nipping things in the bud.

Edited by The Augusta

This is purely my personal opinion, Caesar137, but I believe Augustus stepped in quickly with these men to avoid a growth of the factions that he had lived through himself in the civil wars of 44-31BC. Gallus, for instance, was making himself popular in Egypt as Prefect. He would do the same (and I apologise if I am pre-empting you here) with Egnatius Rufus and his fire brigade. Agrippa was the prime example of the self-deprecating servant and Augustus expected others to be the same. Augustus had not won sole power and concentrated all old magistracies into his single person for nothing. I honestly believe that his first rule was to avoid the factional conflicts that had killed the old republic, and this was his way of nipping things in the bud.

Yes , Augustus acted quickly to avoid a growth of factions .

Yes , Gallus was popular (may be even in Rome , as Crassus) and dangerous for the new regime .

Yes , Agrripa was an example for self deprecating servant (as Maecenas , Salvidienus and many others) .

According to some scholars , including Syme , Augustus did not won sole power but was the first among equals . He was the head of a coalition that included the commanders of the army , the heads of the Italian communities (Dux) etc' . Of course , he was not a Tyrant .

And I totally agree with you that Augustus and his men wanted to smash any one who did not follow the principles of the new regime because of the fear to return to factional conflicts .

About Egnatius , I will be happy to read your narrative :) .

The crisis of 23

At the end of 24 BCE Augustus gets information about a conspiracy in the senate againt him . He desided to go for the 2nd settlement .

The first days of 23 BCE - Marcus Primus , the former governer of Macedonis is brought to trial because he attacked the Odrisians without permission . Primus said that Augustus and Marcellus gave him the permission , than he said that the Consul Aullus Terentius Licinius Varro Murena gave him the order...Augustus (as Consul) arrvied to the scene and asked by the Praetor "did you gave the order ?" Augustus swear thad he did not . Murena (his sister Terentia is married to Maecenas) asked Augustus what he was doing on the trial and who summoned him, Augustus said - "The People's will !" . Primus was convicted but by small majority . Augustus was (by now) sure about the conspiracy .

Maecenas told his wife that her brother Murena is in danger . By now Murena joined a real conspiracy to kill Augustus , led by one named Faenius Caepio .

Castricius (who is he ?) told Augustus about the Murena-Caepio conspiracy . The cospirators fled from the city and brought to trial in absentia .

1 july - Augustus abdicated from the Consulate .

The Senators are in favor of the conspirators ! Augustus passes a bill for open vote in their trial and they are convicted . Murena , Caepio and the others are killed .

The end to the year - Augustus sends Agrripa to Syria (also) to remove its governer , Marcus Terentius Varro , the brother of Murena .

The election for the Consulate - The Consul elected...Tedius Afer is making accusations agains Augusts , the Princeps was furious , Afer is dead and Varro vannished .

The End .

Caesar 137 - before we discuss the above, please could you refer me to your source material for the sequence of these events. (I refer just to the one above - the 23BC conspiracy) There also seems to be an element missing - which is why I'm asking for the source - in that you haven't mentioned Augustus' near fatal illness and his passing of the signet ring to Agrippa, thus quashing any hope the Marcellan party may have had of using the lad in their plot. But I do look forward to discussing this one in more depth with you...

Important point - Marcellus was an ambitious young chap wasn't he? Was augustus only pretending to support his cause? You know, make him feel like he's getting somewhere? Or was augustus genuinely grooming him for success? I wonder if marcellus was going to get pulled off his high horse at some point (or even executed if augustus viewed him as too much of a threat).

Important point - Marcellus was an ambitious young chap wasn't he? Was augustus only pretending to support his cause? You know, make him feel like he's getting somewhere? Or was augustus genuinely grooming him for success? I wonder if marcellus was going to get pulled off his high horse at some point (or even executed if augustus viewed him as too much of a threat).

I really think that the crisis of 23BC is worth a thread of its own, Caldrail. I have very serious misgivings about Marcellus and the Murena/Caepio business, but I do believe that Augustus favoured him strongly. However, whether Augustus was really grooming him for the succession is far from certain. Agrippa, and no doubt Livia, played a huge part in the events of this year. But I want Caesar to come back with his source for the chronology of this year so that we can proceed properly. The only thing I would say at this stage, in answer to your thoughts about Augustus curbing Marcellus' ambitions - if Marcellus was actively involved in Caepio's plot, then this MUST have been kept from Augustus, as he allowed the boy's ashes to go into the mausoleum. He did not allow this for either of the Julias, who had transgressed against him. Although I am not a 'fan' of Marcellus at all, I cannot see that he was actively involved, but his popularity would have made him the target for some of the malcontents. Either way, I don't believe he was any loss to history.

Hi ,

Yes , The Marcellus affair Was an important event in the 23 crisis but not a part of the conspiracies against Augustus (IMHO) .

Despite this "fact" , this is the full version of the 23 BCE crisis (sources - books Ronald Syme , "The Roman Revolution , Ronald Syme - "Augustan Aristocracy" , Tvi Ya'avets "Augustus - Moderation's Victory" , Dio Cassius "The History of Rome" . Articles - Varrones Murenae, by G. V. Sumner , Varro Murena, by William C. McDermott , Primus, Murena, and 'Fides': Notes on Cassius Dio Liv. 3, by Barbara Levick , The Consular Fasti of 23 B. C. and the Conspiracy of Varro Murena, by Michael Swan , Maecenas' Retirement, by Peter White , The Imperium of Augustus, by A. H. M. Jones , The Problem of Octavia Minor and Octavia Maior, by Mary White Singer , The Mission of Agrippa to the Orient in 23 B. C., by David Magie, Jr and more .

The 23 BCE crisis (full version) -

At the end of 24 BCE Augustus gets information about a conspiracy in the senate againt him . He desided to go for the 2nd settlement .

The first days of 23 BCE - Marcus Primus , the former governer of Macedonis is brought to trial because he attacked the Odrisians without permission . Primus said that Augustus and Marcellus gave him the permission , than he said that the Consul Aullus Terentius Licinius Varro Murena gave him the order...Augustus (as Consul) arrvied to the scene and asked by the Praetor "did you gave the order ?" Augustus swear thad he did not . Murena (his sister Terentia is married to Maecenas) asked Augustus what he was doing on the trial and who summoned him, Augustus said - "The People's will !" . Primus was convicted but by small majority . Augustus was (by now) sure about the conspiracy .

Maecenas told his wife that her brother Murena is in danger . By now Murena joined a real conspiracy to kill Augustus , led by one named Faenius Caepio .

By Livia's instigation , her son Tiberius Claudius Nero married his fiancee (for the last 9 years) Vipsania Agrippina the daughter of Agrippa . This marrige confirmed the alliance between Agrippa and Livia against Marcellus and his aly , Maecenas .

Castricius (who is he ?) told Augustus about the Murena-Caepio conspiracy . The cospirators fled from the city and brought to trial in absentia . Tiberius wes the prosecuter in the trial against Caepio . A crisis betweem Augustus and Maecenas to the joy of Agrippa .

Augustus is "sick" and dying , he gathered the Senate (the Senators are expecting the nomination of Marcellus "to the throne") and gave the state papers to the Consul Frugi and his seal to Agrippa ! Marcellus position is in decline .

Augustus is saved by his Doctor Antonius Musa .

June - The romurs about the crisis between Agrippa and Marcellus makes there way to Augustus ears . The Princeps tryed to stop the unrest in the palace , he gathered the Senate and intented to read his (former) will , in it there is no mention of a heir "to the throne" . The Senators asked Agustus not to read his will - Augustus agreed .

1 july - Augustus abdicated from the Consulate , the second settlement (Now we should look at it in a new perspective) .

Augustus is trying to appeas Marcellus and his strong faction by passing a bill in the Senate that allowed him to stand for the Consulate 10 yeras earlier . Marcellus becomes Senator (as an ex Praetor) and Aedilis Curula for the nest year . To compensate Agrippa , Augustus gave him Imperium Proconsulari for 5 years in all of his Provinces . The Princeps did not adopt Marcellus (he wanted to) as a son because of the strong opposition of the "Caesarian" faction led by Agrripa , Taurus and others .

The Senators are in favor of the conspirators ! Augustus passes a bill for open vote in their trial and they are convicted . Murena , Caepio and the others are killed .

Marcellus is "sick" , Mussa failed to cure him .

September - Marcellus is dead ! Rumors about Livia's hands in the death - No proofs . Maecenas - "Augustus had no choise but to make Agrippa his son in low or to smash him" .

The end to the year - Augustus sends Agrripa to Syria (also) to remove its governer , Marcus Terentius Varro , the brother of Murena . Rumors (false) in Rome that Agrippa's departure is connected to his disatisfaction about Augustus political game . Another false rumor is that Augustus is trying to get rid of Agrippa . Agrippa becomes popular becaus of his "Republican" views in contrast to the young and arrogant Marcellus .

The election for the Consulate - The Consul elected...Tedius Afer is making accusations agains Augusts , the Princeps was furious , Afer is dead and Varro vannished .

Agrippa is in Lesbos , he sends his officers to the east and deside to stay in the island ! In Rome they say that Agrripa no longer accept Augustus commands .

As I see it , Marcellus had his moves but I can't see a connection to the Murena conspiracy .

The important thing is that Augustus went to the 2nd settlement because he saw 3 things - Conspiracies , opposition in the Senate and wars in the palace between factions led by Livia , Agrippa , Maecenas , Marcellus and more .

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII

A lot to digest there, Caesar 137...... and an awful lot for me to get my teeth into. Could I come back to you soon? The Saturnalia being upon us, things are hectic at my end, but I do want to carry on this debate with you, so I thought I'd just post an interim. If only to say - 'Castricius' was Caepio's freedman (off the top of my head).

By the way - that is an extensive bibliography you have up there, but the articles etc. will be opinions and conjecture I presume. Dio is the actual source, and so he must be the starting point. I read Syme's account some years ago, and as he still sits proudly dog-eared on my shelves I shall take him down for a skim. I have the consular fasti too. I greatly admire Levick, but I haven't read the work you cite in your list - I will endeavour to obtain it.

But three things I must say immediately: In which of your sources is it stated that Marcellus was praetor? Or are you meaning that he was given a pro-praetorian rank during his military service in Gaul? And in which of your sources is he named as aedile for 22BC and not 23BC? Surely, he was aedile in 23? - or at least that's what I've grown up with for the last 30 years :hammer: As for Augustus's reasons for 'going for the settlement', I rather think it is something he had in mind for a while, but I agree that the crises of this year probably came as something of a catalyst. He had to get it done. But let's not forget the most important piece of legislation from this settlement - the tribunician power. In my opinion, that one had been part of his plans for a while! It not only linked him to the People but he actually numbered his regnal years by it thereafter; that was just how important he saw it - it was the cornerstone of his rule, together with his proconsular imperium. I hardly think he arrived at it purely because of the events of 23BC.

And just one more - Terentia, acting on information from Maecenas, warned Murena that Augustus was on to him, yes - and this is why he managed to escape. He had already been involved in the conspiracy at that stage. If he had been warned, why the heck would he then 'join a conspiracy' unless he had a death wish?

I will post more as time allows. If I do not get a chance to come back to the Forum before the holidays - please accept my best wishes for a cool Yule :D

'Castricius' was Caepio's freedman - Thanks for that

In which of your sources is it stated that Marcellus was praetor? Or are you meaning that he was given a pro-praetorian rank during his military service in Gaul? - Yes he was given a pro-Praetorian rank but with no connection to his military service in Gaul . It was the Senate prerogative to use this method in that period and after . "Marcellus was given the right to be a senator among the ex-praetors..." (Dio) .

And in which of your sources is he named as aedile for 22BC and not 23BC? - He was elected Aedile for 22 and did not serve as such in 23 - "...and he (Tiberius) was at once elected quaestor and Marcellus aedile..." (Dio) . The notion was for 23 so if the election was in that year than Marcellus was electad for 22 .

But let's not forget the most important piece of legislation from this settlement - the tribunician power - Of course !

He had already been involved in the conspiracy at that stage. If he had been warned, why the heck would he then 'join a conspiracy' unless he had a death wish? - Prior to Terentia's warning , murena was not in the conspiracy but in the opposition (as showed in the trial of Primus) . After the warning there was nothing for him to lose and the logical step was to eliminat the threat , so he joined Caepio !

I wish you a happy holiday ! :hammer:

And in which of your sources is he named as aedile for 22BC and not 23BC? - He was elected Aedile for 22 and did not serve as such in 23 - "...and he (Tiberius) was at once elected quaestor and Marcellus aedile..." (Dio) . The notion was for 23 so if the election was in that year than Marcellus was electad for 22 .

Dio places the election of Tiberius and Marcellus in 24BC in my copy :hammer: in the year when Augustus and Norbanus were consuls! The elections took place while Augustus was on his way back from Spain. Therefore Marcellus was aedile in 23. And after all - he did stage those silly games of his in 23 (Dio).

And thanks for clearing up the praetorian business. I realised that was what you must have meant as soon as I'd posted!

Dio places the election of Tiberius and Marcellus in 24BC in my copy :hammer: in the year when Augustus and Norbanus were consuls! The elections took place while Augustus was on his way back from Spain. Therefore Marcellus was aedile in 23. And after all - he did stage those silly games of his in 23 (Dio).

Ach , I wish things were more simple !

The Chronology of the years 23 BCE and 22 BCE is one of great debate - Dear dio Cassius even did not know that the conspiracy of Murena was in 23 :D !!! According to Dio it was in 22....So you can accept his notion about Marcellus as an Aedile in 23 , I don't . You can read about Dio's mistaken chronology in the articles named above .

Edited by Caesar CXXXVII