UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Augustus

Guest Javier

Does it? How?

Sorry Spittle, I don't follow your logic.

Phil

Back to the 'Maturity' issue.

'No Consulship till 42'. Wasn't that started by Sulla ?

Yes, 42 was instituted by Sulla, but it 39/40 before that. He revised the standing practice but, it wasn't an overwhelming departure from the norm.

Where did the story originate of G J Caesar crying with frustration at the base of Alexanders statue because he compared his own achievements to those of 'the Great Alexander' at age 30 ?

Where did the story originate of G J Caesar crying with frustration at the base of Alexanders statue because he compared his own achievements to those of 'the Great Alexander' at age 30 ?

While Plutarch, Suetonius and Dio Cassius may have immortalized slightly different versions, it's origination is likely based in truth. Though some of the drama of the moment may have been invented for effect, I don't personally doubt that the incident occurred in some form.

Even if the tale is apocryphal, if it was begun by an ancient source it reveals an attitude towards youthfull success being accepted by the Romans.

Romans were much more comfortable with traditions in this regard. Until the very late republic and inception of the principate, there are very few youthful Romans of great import throughout Roman history. Scipio Africanus was supposedly only thrust into prominence because there were essentially no other volunteers for the Hispania command (and because of familial prominence and relations). Pompey Magnus was the product of a civil war in which the standard rules were overlooked if one could support one faction over the other (Sullan over Marian in this case). Octavian's rise at such a young age was quite unique in retrospect. Without the name of Caesar, I don't believe anyone could make a case that he would've been accepted in any role of political prominence.

The principate changed this outlook entirely, though the aristocracy seems always to have favored experience.

I could not have expressed it better PP. I concur with you entirely.

Phil

My logic was that Caesar even expecting to have comparable achievements under his belt at age 30 showed an attitude to youthful success.

Pompey was one of Sulla's 'main men' and hugely successful, despite being just a pup.

Not that it matters now that PP has blown my thinking out of the water.

I'm not as articulate as I'd like I hope this helps clarify my thinking.

Edited by spittle