UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Troop names.

I have a question. I know of the Hastati, and the Triarii, and the Princepes, among others. Did those divisions stay after the Marian Reforms? The reason I ask is because before the reforms, the army had to pretty much supply their own equipment. However, afterwards it was totally reorganized. So, did the army reform their ranks, and designate new units? Thanks.

Marvel

There is some debate about the speed at which the republican divisions were reorganized, but no doubt the process began with Marius, and soon there were no more Hastati, Triarii etc, and no real distiction in terms of weaponry carried, accept between foot and horse.

You can find a complete breakdown of rank and organization of the post reform legion on UNRV - here

Not to any great extent. Obviously some soldiers had their noses put out but since roman troops weren't particularly obedient surely you'd expect some form of dispute if they were genuinely angry? There wasn't any. In fact, I think the changes suited a lot of people. Firstly it meant the lower classes now had access to a steady job soldiering for Rome. It certainly beat labouring in the civilian sector. Granted it was a risk occupation but there were some definite perks to it. As for the higher classes, there was less demand on their services for the rank-and-file. I know rome was a militarised culture and that military service was an important step in political credibility, but it sure looked better on your CV if you'd served as a legate, tribune, or centurion.