UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Auxiliary Archer unit organization

Can anyone inform me (or provide me with a link or other source) regarding the organization of auxiliary archer and slinger units? (breakdown, officers, officers' equipment, etc).

Thanks in advance

Well first it'd be better if you could narrow your search parameters a bit since the imperial army's auxiliaries are quite a bit different from republican units which were either sent by other's nations or formed from mercenary companies.

During the republic those auxiliaries were not really organized in structured units, they used their own structures and more importantly equipments but were under orders from a junior roman officer.

Under the empire those units were better organized in units of either 480 or 800 men ( cohorts ). No specialized slingers units are knows but archers units are attested. Those units were lead by roman officers too.

Well first it'd be better if you could narrow your search parameters a bit since the imperial army's auxiliaries are quite a bit different from republican units which were either sent by other's nations or formed from mercenary companies.

I'll do that :ph34r:

I was thinking of Imperial auxiliary units, for instance the Hamian archers based at Vercovicium. What of their standard bearers? Were their officers equipped like normal auxiliary infantry centurions or did they differ?