UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cloaks, what did legionaries favor?

According to Lillian Wilson "The Clothing of the Ancient Romans" the Paludamentum was the cloak of generals

On The Arch of Septimus Severus there are depictions of centurions wearing the Paenula

While on the Trajan's Column I have pictures of the Sagum and the Sagula (a little Sagum) being worn by members of the calvary.

So what did the rank and file man wear?

Which one was like the modern day poncho, with just a hole in the middle to stick your head through, i think it was the paenula but i'm not sure.

Anybody got any pictures or illustrations?

• 3 months later...

The Paenula was popular as well, among the civilians and the military. They were especially popular in colder or wetter climes, considering that the cloak had a leather hood.

MTT01b.jpg

This illustration shows reenactors wearing the military cloak.

Here's some more info on cloaks:

Roman Military Cloaks

• 2 weeks later...

I would assume that the legions did not wear their cloaks on the ground. If it came down to individual combat, the cloak could be used against you. A man could easily be pulled down from behind by his cloak. The cloaks I believe would have been more a thing to wear on the march and around camp, and to double as a blanket. Only in the severe cold would you wear your cloak, possibly.