UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Curio's rousing speech.

During the civil war Gaius Scribonius Curio was fighting for Caesar in Africa, he came up against the army of the Numidian king Juba who was fighting for Pompey. Before the battle he gave this rousing speech then promptly led his army to nearly total annihilation.

Was he too confident, arrogant or just unlucky?

But I suppose, although you are pleased with Caesar, you are offended with me; however, I shall not boast of my services to you, which still are inferior to my own wishes or your expectations. But, however, soldiers have ever looked for the rewards of labor at the conclusion of a war; and what the issue of it is likely to be, not even you can doubt. But why should I omit to mention my own diligence and good fortune, and to what a happy crisis affairs are now arrived? Are you sorry that I transported the army safe and entire, without the loss of a single ship? That on my arrival, in the very first attack, I routed the enemy's fleet? That twice in two days I defeated the enemy's horse? That I carried out of the very harbor and bay two hundred of the enemy's victualers, and reduced them to that situation that they can receive no supplies either by land or sea? Will you divorce yourselves from this fortune and these generals; and prefer the disgrace of Corfinium, the defeat of Italy, the surrender of both Spains, and the prestige of the African war? I, for my part, wished to be called a soldier of Caesar's; you honored me with the title of Imperator. If you repent your bounty, I give it back to you; restore to me my former name that you may not appear to have conferred the honor on me as a reproach."

Would you have followed?

Ave Gaius

I think the question is moot. Remember the ancient historians used to put long winded speeches in the mouths of their protagonists. This was an accepted convention and we need to be careful about taking these speeches too literally. To sum up, we don't know what Curio really said, but if I was there, I would certainly not have sided with Pompey or Juba against Caesar

Edited by Gladius xx

but if I was there, I would certainly not have sided with Pompey or Juba against Caesar

Heh

One would think Caesar was unbeaten ;) (all the Pompeians together - "dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium")

but if I was there, I would certainly not have sided with Pompey or Juba against Caesar

Heh

One would think Caesar was unbeaten :( (all the Pompeians together - "dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium")

And just what did the Pompeians do after Dyrracium?

Heh

One would think Caesar was unbeaten ;) (all the Pompeians together - "dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium")

Haha basically underestimated Caesars legions and promptly got a good seeing to :(

Heh

One would think Caesar was unbeaten :( (all the Pompeians together - "dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium dyrachium")

Heh , that was my point...