UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Relations between Teutonic Order and Byzantine Empire

I havent really ever come across any info about relations between the tuetonics and the Byzantines. The only reason i can think of is that perhaps the majority of Teutonic castles were in the south of the levant instead of near or around the Principality of Antioch which was under the sphere of Byzantine influence. (theres a map out there showing each of the castles in syria and the orders they belonged to, cant find it right now try to find it later after school)

But i am sure that it atleast came into contact with the Byzantines when Frederick Barbarossa came through the empire.

Remembering that after the loss of the holy land the order was moved for Cyprus then into Hungary then ended up in the Baltic region whereas the Hospitallers continued to have contact with the Byzantines.

When Frederick Barbarossa died some of his followers, who were now stranded in the Middle East, turned towards service with the Muslim armies. Perhaps others of the Teutonic order marched back into Byzantine territory and settled in those areas. According to the sources most packed up and left for Europe while a group of others took his body for burial in Syria.