UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Heroes of the Republic (episode 17)

Primus Pilus

The sexual content was at a minimum. Octavia was just lying down on a couch being a twit and seeing things.

I particularly enjoyed Octavian dictating to the Senate and playing Cicero for a fool. That was rather nice--and it seemed that the focus of the episode was more on historical events (and the formation of triumvirate) than anything else. We saw a lot of Octavian, Agrippa, and M

Edited by Julia C

Next episode looks super. Will we actually get to watch a battle for once? That would be extra nice. I'll admit, the new Octavian is growing on me. He has that cold calculating look going on. This is probably a more realistic view of Octavian, than the bumbling Augustus from I Clavdivs. If the historical Octavian had been the lovable Brian Blessed Augustus he wouldn't have stood a snowball's chance against old Tully.

[quote name='Julia C

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

I promised I wouldn't come into this thread again, but as it's you, Julia - and our Nephele has commented on the same theme...

You must let me know how my Livia turns out in this series. On a fun note, I am almost expecting them to portray her as a raving lesbian/nymphomaniac who stuffs her own dildoes! :wine:

Hahahaha! You tempt me to "gothercize" her by anagramming "Livia Drusilla" into "Vasillia Lurid" ("Queen Lurid").

I will definitely let you know, Augusta, if your eponym takes a turn in that direction. Btw, I greatly enjoyed your review of Anthony Barrett's biography of Livia. I'm surprised the book wasn't already in my public library's collection but, thanks to you, I've corrected that oversight.

-- Nephele

I's mostly glad the minor plotlines are done. Though we'll undoubtedly see more of Vorenus and Pullo, it looks as if it'll be more relevant to current events rather than tying up loose ends from last season. Atia must surely be about to kick the bucket soon, and she needs to hurry, because Livia will be coming onto the scene in a few years.

Octavian said he was thinking about marriage. I wonder if we'll see Scribonia. I hope so, though her presence is bound to be brief.

Next week is Philippi and the previews of both the battle and the political machinations are greatly encouraging for the continuing season.

My DVR failed to record the preview since the episode ran a little long. I'm hoping to catch tonight's encore to get a peek. More political mechanations would be excellent! I'm enticed.

Oh, and which Agrippa/Octavian scene did you think was two modernistic?

Nephele: Oh my goodness--yes, let's hope that we don't have to see Atia playing as Livilla. If it did happen, it's probable that it'd be at Octavian's instigation rather than Antonius--I can't see his character, as he's been portrayed, dropping Atia for Octavia. I really couldn't.

I suppose Atia had one last role to play in this episode, and now the stage is set for her to finally die. I have been waiting for her to go for so long.

You must let me know how my Livia turns out in this series. On a fun note, I am almost expecting them to portray her as a raving lesbian/nymphomaniac who stuffs her own dildoes

Haha. Maybe that could be their reason why she never bore any of Augustus's children. She had enough dealing with T. Claudius Nero, but when it came to Augustus she decided that her secret lesbian urges must be satisfied!

If they could turn Atia into a sex fiend and Octavia into a drug addict, who knows what they'll do to Livia? I'll be sure to let you know, though.

On the bright side, this means that my Julia must obviously be portrayed as the paragon of morality. No scandals for her! :wine: