UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Franks

In two contemporary Greek historians, we find a very different account of the customs and conduct of the Franks.

The first from Agathias, Lib.i.p.13 extols them as models of uncorrupted virtue; he praises their strict execution of the precepts, and their orthodox adherence to the tenents, of the Catholic Church. The second from Procopius.Goth.lib.i.c.25 holds them forth as brutal savages, who, with the profession of Christianity, clung to many of their heathen rites, and who showed at once their cruelty and superstition, by the sacrifice of children to the idols.

Two very different descriptions from two very respected historians, Which one is closer to the truth?

I know Procopius is considered by many to be a Byzantine version of Suetonius (i.e. likes to stretch the truth a bit) but his many writings can't all be considered as merely ancient forms of storytelling.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

I suspect that Heathen sentiments continued for a long time under a thin vaneer of Christianization. These elements were used to criticize the Franks when they acted like loose canons; the same elements were ignored on the occasions when the Franks acted as useful allies.

Just my theory. I however don't have a commanding grasp on this era to make a definitive statement.