UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

There's being politically conscious then there's...

Virgil61

Excerpt from the U of North Carolina Daily Tar Heel opinion column (some of the comments left are priceless):

Know this, future ex-boyfriends of mine

Linda Quiquivix, Saving the World

Posted: 2/9/07

Friends who know me weren't surprised to learn that my Zionist boyfriend and I broke up last summer shortly after Israel began dropping bombs on Lebanese children. But the friends who really knew me were surprised to learn that I had even dated a Zionist to begin with.

In my defense, I thought he was just Jewish when it all began - a progressive one who was white but had tendencies for black supremacy. Politically, we aligned well, so I figured that he'd automatically agree with my stance on Israel-Palestine. (If you don't already know: It's Israel's fault more than it is the Palestinians' - don't believe the hype.)

But my new progressive boyfriend, who was supposed to help me save the world, would stop short at any criticism of the Israeli government's racist, oppressive policies. And what's worse, he would sometimes defend them by saying things like that the land was up for grabs because the Palestinians never had an official state to begin with.

Man, you really think you know your white Jewish boyfriend with tendencies for black supremacy.

It quickly became obvious that, just the same, he didn't know his brown girlfriend with tendencies for anarchism well either. It was probably the anarchism that threw him off the most. I mean, he knew I was brown.

I think. I'm pretty sure it came up in conversation at least once. Like when I told him about the time the Israeli airport police racially profiled me and asked me to strip down to my underwear.

But it's very possible that "strip down to my underwear" was all he took away from that story.

I don't see how people who don't agree politically can date. This became clear last summer when Israel killed 16 children in Qana, the U.S. refused to call for a cease-fire, and the boyfriend acted as if these were war games where Israel had a right to defend itself. So every time Israel did something abominable I'd increasingly begin to hold him personally responsible.

It must have been difficult to date me. My apologies. But whatever. Politics take precedence over penis. (Know this, future ex-boyfriends of mine.)...

Cont'd at Article.

Politics take precedence over penis.

Ah, now this is where I have no principles whatsoever! I always tell people that if I'd lived during WW2 and those big butch Germans and gorgeous Italians had invaded us, I'd have collaborated and fraternised the length and breadth of England! :ph34r:

Edited by The Augusta

"Still, until that day, I wave the Palestinian flag in solidarity. And will even let it fly over my bed. Know this, future ex-boyfriends of mine."

Oooo! what a fine example of tolerance! And black supremacy it's waaay better then white supremacy! :afro:

B) I once had a similar dispute with my girlfirend (now wife). She liked Diana, I liked Charles, but none of us had their portraits hanging over our beds. That would have bring nightmares :ph34r: .

Politics take precedence over penis.

Ah, now this is where I have no principles whatsoever! I always tell people that if I'd lived during WW2 and those big butch Germans and gorgeous Italians had invaded us, I'd have collaborated and fraternised the length and breadth of England! ;)

:wub: Standing up, of course? :wine:

:D