UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I know that some officers wore leg greaves (presumably strapped on with leather straps). My question is, was something worn underneath them so that they wouldn't rub the skin raw? They wore such things under their helmet and other armor, but under the greaves as well? I've never heard of or seen it done, but one would think that they would rub quite a bit as your leg flexed.

LW here is a shot of the LEG II AVG Primus Pilus arming up:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...si&img=1549

definitely no felt or cloth layers on this occasion. As I say in the caption , in hot weather the armour is scalding hot wherever the sun touches .

I've read that centurions wore different greaves than the regular soldier.

Different in what way? Were they more ornate, just another little touch to make them stand out from the legionaries like carrying the gladius on the left rather than the right?

Pertinax I don't know how I managed to miss that shot. Those are thin straps, I suppose they wouldn't be too much trouble if the metal part fit properly.

I believe that the regular soldiers did not wear greaves. If they did, they would be very simple, while Centurions and other officers would have had more ornate armor.

Remember this posting?

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=955

Here is the same Primus Pilus in full regalia-the greaves are plain!

Oh yes, how could I forget that darling of Rome? :wub:

This Centurion has swirly ornamented greaves though. Was it a matter of personal preference? Whatever one could afford? (or just plain historical inacuracy?)

Edited by Lost_Warrior

Here is an excellent article on the subject of greaves from the Legio XX Online Handbook. The gentleman that runs Legio XX, Matthew Amt, is extremely well respected in the Roman military research and reenactment community and nothing makes it into Matt's handbook without it being as legitimate as possible.

Apparently greaves were assumed to be lined with leather, but there is no literary record or finds surviving with leather intact. The article also goes through all aspects of who wore greaves and how.

I'll keep looking to see if I find anything else.

Apparently greaves were assumed to be lined with leather, but there is no literary record or finds surviving with leather intact. The article also goes through all aspects of who wore greaves and how.

I'll keep looking to see if I find anything else.

Ok, I found some references to actual finds of greaves with linings. The first (I think) is:

Excavations at Dura Europos: Final Report VII: Arms and Armour and other Military Equipment

by Simon James. Apparently a greave was found with a stout linen liner

the Second is:

Roman Military Equipment Edition 2 by M.C. Bishop & J.C.N. Coulston, page 87, there is a reference to the leather greave lining found in Vindonessa.

I don't have either of these books to look directly, but, I trust the sources enough to believe the references are there.

Oh yes, how could I forget that darling of Rome? :wub:

This Centurion has swirly ornamented greaves though. Was it a matter of personal preference? Whatever one could afford? (or just plain historical inacuracy?)

The ornamentation was a symbol of status, since it was more expensive than plain armour. Therefore if a common soldier wore ornate greaves he's going to get pulled to one side by his centurion to answer some fierce questioning. He might well have themn requisitioned and find himself on nasty fatigues for his presumption.