UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Odysseus Was Dutch And Trojans Were Finnish

Italian engineer Felicce Vinci proposes an interesting hypothesis in his book "Homer in the Baltic." According to him, Odysseus was not Greek but Dutch and all events portrayed in the Homeric epic stories in reality took place around Scandinavia instead of the Mediterranean region.

It has already been noted by scholars that certain descriptions of landscapes in Homer"s "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" did not quite match those landscapes of the Mediterranean. Plutarch used to assume that the island where Odysseus had been captured by Calypso was in fact situated in North Atlantic. According to Homer, the city of Troy lies by "boundless Ogygia", "five days' sail from Britain".

full article at Pravda

now thats what i call an interesting theorie...

• 2 years later...

No! Indeed!, I say NO!, once again.

Troy was in Brigantia! Lookey here - proof positive!: http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...si&img=1492

See that little splotch in the lower right center background? That is Troy! All involved were a bunch of assorted besotted Celts having at each other over some babe. :wub: After ten years of merry making, when they were finally tuckered out, one of the sots stole a boat and was taken adrift. Contrary to all the other twaddle, it was HE who discovered Iceland, Greenland and Vinnishland! It was My Lord of the Herbs, :notworthy: who lately discovered the real Troy! And let us not forget that Homer was a woetomans! (Thank you, Dr. Andrew Dalby of Our Crowd.)

Odysseus was in Dutch with most everybody - not a Dutchman! The Trojans were finished - not Finnish! An errant 'editor'. :rolleyes:

:romansoldier: