UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Septimus Flavius Galarius

Anyone else confused where the series is going with Timon

From what i understand zealots did not become a serious threat until after Herod the Great's death. Even then it was just random riots, such as the riots against Pilate for his building a aqueduct, until the first jewish revolt. Plus timon did a complete 180 turn. Him and his brother just seem like a couple of thugs, like assaulting the jewish elders, what did that accomplish besides turning the jewish leaders against them. I suppose the big climax for their subplot will be to try to assaninate Herod when he comes to Rome, well i hope this subplot ends there because it seems like filler to me.

From what i understand zealots did not become a serious threat until after Herod the Great's death. Even then it was just random riots, such as the riots against Pilate for his building a aqueduct, until the first jewish revolt. Plus timon did a complete 180 turn. Him and his brother just seem like a couple of thugs, like assaulting the jewish elders, what did that accomplish besides turning the jewish leaders against them. I suppose the big climax for their subplot will be to try to assaninate Herod when he comes to Rome, well i hope this subplot ends there because it seems like filler to me.

As I surmised in one of the episode threads, I believe it is intended to foreshadow the coming of Jesus. Consider the incident of Jesus confronting the moneylenders in the temple as a comparison. While I think the plot line is strange, and a bit nonsensical when we consider Timon's abrupt behavior change, I do think its intriguing for the possibility of a 3rd season... and beyond.

Isnt this contemporary with the religious feuds that are going on in Israel?

I think the goal is to show a miniature version of the disputes and sides that exist in Judea during this time period.

Had it not been 70 years into the future relative to the timeline, I could see a legatus Lucius Vorennus urging a hesitant Pilate to crucify a Nazerene heretic for the good of the empire, while a newly promoted Titus Pollo is the centurion who infamously pierces said Nazarene with a spear during the crucifixion.

But seriously, if there is a third season I do hope the political and religious intrigue of Judea is a minor sideshow at best.

Had it not been 70 years into the future relative to the timeline, I could see a legatus Lucius Vorennus urging a hesitant Pilate to crucify a Nazerene heretic for the good of the empire, while a newly promoted Titus Pollo is the centurion who infamously pierces said Nazarene with a spear during the crucifixion.

But seriously, if there is a third season I do hope the political and religious intrigue of Judea is a minor sideshow at best.

Purely my own speculation, there has been no suggestion of my premise within the show itself. I was thinking into the distant future.

Well i hope a third season and any following seasons (which probaly won't happen anyway since there is no audience for Rome) concentrates on Roman society and life like this series does. They do a good job sticking to Rome and Roman society right now, except for the timon zealot subplot, what we don't need is this series turning into the passion of the christ!

Actually, with the current crop of writers, Jesus would be killed because he broke up with Mary Magdalene, who was also sleeping with Pontius Pilate, Pollio, and the Virgin Mary. The resurrection, of course, would be played true to the Gospels--for historical authenticity of course (heh heh).

Seriously, though, I think the series has jumped the shark.

tHE shark has truly been jumped...

:angry:

How I miss the atmosphere of series one.

And yet I still love this show (most of the time).

I too feel this jewish subplot is meaningless in the timeframe, the screentime thus wasted could have been put to MUCH better use.

Edited by Kieronus

Seriously, though, I think the series has jumped the shark.

MPC, you should have posted the direct "Jumped the Shark" link to Rome.

As of my writing this, six diehard voters say the show has never jumped. Four who say it did jump were resentful of the Octavian substitution ("This new guy sucks"). The remaining three were distressed by Cleopatra's crack whore smoking ("they should be ashamed of themselves"), Caesar's death (this voter was too choked up to leave a comment), and Pullo's shtupping of Cleo ("too far fetched").

One loyal viewer felt compelled to enlighten all the nay-sayers: "if you ever bothered to read Caesar's Commentaries you'd know Vorenus and Pullo were real characters" whose "relationship on the show is similar to the one they had in real life!" I suspect this guy's really into buddy movies more than Caesar's Commentaries.

Haven't a clue as to where the series is going with Timon, but have to say these Jump the Shark voters' reactions are at least as entertaining as the show itself.

-- Nephele

I think the writers are more interested in giving "the fully uncensored -- highly flavored -- experience of Rome" then in actually giving us a history based drama. So far we have seen:

-Legionary combat(flavoring: one man army Pullo smashes through Gauls)

-SEX...SEX(well I guess its flavored depending on the viewer)

-Gladiator combat(flavoring: Legion equivalents Vorenus and Pullo smash through gladiators)

-Wedding(flavoring: with dramatic and emotional effect)

-Worship(Flavoring: Blood dumped on Atia)

-Murder(flavoring: never ending number of ways. Gotta love those sword through the collar bone shots)

etc. etc.