UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

10 - 20 min presentation on Roman Empire

dogamatix

I am going to be giving a 10-20 minute presentation on the title 'The Roman Empire'. My audience is approxiamately 50 people, aged 18 -35.

Any suggestions for topics? It can't be in depth and there should be some humour and shocking facts here and there to make the audience want to learn more.

I have been thinking of the following so far;

Overview of the rise and fall; Politics; Military; Cuture (including slavery); Impacts on the world as we know it.

I have 1 week and I am in denmark, where there is little english literature on the shelves in the libraries. Please help.

Salve Dogmatix-

To get ideas on your topic and a good starting place for reseraching material, I recommend A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities by William Smith. This page at the Lacus Curtius site lists hundred of Roman themed articles on everything from everyday life, to the Military, to politics. Although the dictionary is old, it is an invaluable resource and still extremely pertinent today. Good luck!

Well if it were me stood there....

I think I'd start with SPQR in large letters and explaining its significance. What it meant, why it was important 2000 years ago, where it came from. That way the empire is seen in context.

Then I'd stress the extent of the empire in geographical terms. How one man controlled this vast swathe of land from one city. Some anecdotes about the excesses that some emperors were prone to.

A bit about the economical strengths of rome to follow. How the earlier success against carthage had enabled the empire to treat the mediterranean as a roman lake, mentioning the transport of grain from egypt, metals from britain, the animal trade, luxury goods from India and beyond.

Then I'd describe how they held it all together by the exercise of brute force, with legions, and displays of violence.

Finally, I would draw parallels between their age and ours and ask - Are we so different?

Even if the audience may not know a lot about the empire, they probably will know about the 'hollywood-version'. No need to tell them anecdotes about the depraved emperors, gladiators etc. They already know this, and you'll only be perpetuating the stereotypes. Use your time to tell them something they don't know. For instance, focus on a period they won't be familiar with, such as the third century, or the fifth.

Avoid the obvious (What was the Roman legacy, why did Rome fall/rise), you won't have the time to deal with such broad topics anyway. Instead, leave them a single, well-made point that changes their perception of Rome, if only just a little. That's what will make them want to know more.

One thing that always interested me was the incredible tenacity of early Rome in the face of apparent defeats; specifically during the Pyrrhic and Punic Wars. The disaster at Camarina and subsequent recovery, or the modern use of the term 'Pyrrhic victory', exemplify this admirable strength, at least to me.

Even if the audience may not know a lot about the empire, they probably will know about the 'hollywood-version'. No need to tell them anecdotes about the depraved emperors, gladiators etc. They already know this, and you'll only be perpetuating the stereotypes. Use your time to tell them something they don't know. For instance, focus on a period they won't be familiar with, such as the third century, or the fifth.

Avoid the obvious (What was the Roman legacy, why did Rome fall/rise), you won't have the time to deal with such broad topics anyway. Instead, leave them a single, well-made point that changes their perception of Rome, if only just a little. That's what will make them want to know more.

I disagree. My experience in the music industry taught me that a cold audience isn't conducive to original material. Give them something they understand and like and they'll applaud - after all, didn't emperors do just that with games and chariot races? Broad topics can work just fine if you don't dwell on them. For your average listener someone going on about 3rd century coinage (for instance) isn't going to change their perception except for the worst. Play to the crowd I say. And whilst I'm thumping my tub, I agree, there isn't any need to pass on stereotypes. Why not focus the lecture on why these sterotypes are wrong?

If the audience is of a learned variety then by all means be specific and explain a subject they may not be aware of.