UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Scale model of Rome

Take a look at this site it has a full scale model of Rome with close up's of all the important site's like the forum, Colosseum, the temple's, all the district's, baths, aqueducts etc

http://www.maquettes-historiques.net/P5.html

It really is very impressive work, I'm sure Northern Neil will appreciate it.

What a fantastic site! But... Those aren't really models, are they? They look like paintings, or computer graphics, to me.

Northern Neil does the real stuff. :ph34r:

But I luuuurve this site! Thanks for the link!

-- Nephele

They are definately models - you can see the paper and paint in some areas that indicates it.

That's really impressive stuff - as a modeller myself (albeit on a larger scale), I really appreciate the detail given to these. Wow.

;) and :o not to mention :blink: words truly fail me. What an undertaking! I do believe that his models are even tinier than my 6mm scale ones. Now that takes immense skill given the level of detail! Edited by Northern Neil

I wonder how long it is before someone does an interactive Rome on PC?

This is about the closest thing, so far. Too bad it requires Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw; those suckers are expensive.

HEY! I just took a look at the model's home page; the builder is somewhere in Quebec, and I live almost directly on the Quebec border. I may be able to see the thing, in person!

Edited by Marcus Caelius

This is about the closest thing, so far. Too bad it requires Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw; those suckers are expensive.

HEY! I just took a look at the model's home page; the builder is somewhere in Quebec, and I live almost directly on the Quebec border. I may be able to see the thing, in person!

Now that would be something!

To be able to walk around it and see it with your own eye's, I wonder how big it actually is, if you look at the Colosseum page you can have a look at the work in progress, the Colosseum is tiny, you really appreciate the attention to detail, those guys must have the patience of saints! :D

That's impressive! I am sure it has been taken from that famous panoramic map of Rome in the age of Constantine that was available as a poster for tourists a few years ago. Or at least the artists have used that as a starting point. I've tried to find a repro of that on the internet to link to but can't seem to find it. Still, I am sure many of you will have seen it. It was a 3D map.

Terrific work! Whenever I see these things I bemoan the fact that I was born 2,000 years too late and in the wrong country!

I tried the link but it doesn't work.

Either way so far I haven't seen any interactive tours of Rome(or at least not any good ones), which suprises me, although doubt it will be long before someone does it.

Edited by Cornelius

I tried the link but it doesn't work.

Odd, no problem for me. Here it is in plain English, as it were:

http://www.euratlas.com/shop/01roma.htm

To be able to walk around it and see it with your own eye's, I wonder how big it actually is, if you look at the Colosseum page you can have a look at the work in progress, the Colosseum is tiny, you really appreciate the attention to detail, those guys must have the patience of saints! :(

Here you go: http://www.maquettes-historiques.net/page10de.html