UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hadrian's Wall in the days of the Romans

DecimusCaesar

Has anyone here read this book? Pertinax, Northern Neil and GPM are big fans of the wall, and I also have an intrest in it. I brought the book from a second hand bookshop recently, and I've wondered if it's still historically correct - considering that there's been quite a lot of modern scholarship on the wall in the last few years. This book was published in the early eighties I would have thought that a few of the stuff featured within it would have been overturned by new research. Not only that but I've checked many internet sellers and they say that the book has been out of print. Is this because it's no longer valid, or is it because of the difficulty of publishing the book - it does have 71 colour illustrations in it.

Even if it isn't as historically correct as some more modern books, it certainly looks as if it's the best illustrated book on Roman Britain ever published. The amount of reconstructive illustrations by Ron Embleton is astounding.

I used to have this book, but unfortunately lent it to someone and didn't get it back. Apart from revisions in some fort names at the western end of the wall, and the perception now that it and the forts may have been plastered, I dont think there iss anything particularly wrong with this book historically. It certainly inspired me!!

Unfortunately I haven't read this book DC so I can't comment on it, but the best book I have on the Wall is called Hadrians Wall by David J Breeze and Brian Dobson, we discussed this book in an earlier thread.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4937

This book was first published in 1976 so is even older than your book, but as far as I know it contains everything you need to know about the Wall,

You can even buy it on Amazon for.....wait for it........1p......I kid you not!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/026-...=david+j+breeze

Scroll down the page to book number 8, I think I only paid something like 99p and the book is in pretty good condition too.

Graham and Embleton's is perhaps superseded in scholarship but unsurpassed in illustrative excellence. It is a real Boy's Own vision of the Wall , Breeze and Dobson are the masters as far as updated scholarly work goes . Its no insult to say that if I had a young family member who had an interest in the Wall, (or Rome in general) I would actually give them Graham's work first to fire the imagination.

Unfortunately I haven't read this book DC so I can't comment on it, but the best book I have on the Wall is called Hadrians Wall by David J Breeze and Brian Dobson, we discussed this book in an earlier thread.

This is an excellent book. I have it, and refer to it often. One may find out more about the Wall than he knew.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I do have to agree that it certainly is the best illustrated book I've ever seen on Roman Britain. I think the artist, Ron Embleton, did some work for Osprey publishing which isn't surprising. Sadly he died a few years after this book was published. It is also sad to consider that they never got a chance to "add and to improve many of the illustrations". Imagine if Embleton were alive today, the newest edition of the book would contain even more reconstructions.

This book was first published in 1976 so is even older than your book, but as far as I know it contains everything you need to know about the Wall,

Thanks for that GPM. I remember discussing it with Pertinax before Christmas. I've pre-ordered the book, hopefully it will arrive soon.

• 1 month later...

Wow!!! I don't know how I have missed this thread before now!! The Wall is only five minutes from me at Segedunum and having been on staff and a founder member of the Friends of Segedunum I can say a little here. David Breeze's and Brian Dobson's book has been fully revised and updated for 2000. Buyers should go for this issue.

The Embleton books are many and I do have some still unpacked from our last house move a couple of years back!! No shelf space!! His illustrations are first class and are well regarded in the archaelogical circle. David Breeze is a really nice guy. I have met him a few times and asked him formally if he would do us the honour of becoming Patron to The Friends of Segedunum. In his own shy way he asked me '.. why me?' to whit I answered there would be no greater honour that could befall the Friends if he accepted because of his knowledge and stature within these hallowed circles. He stood for a short while and smiled and accepted with grace. What a really genuine guy he is. Brilliant. I was most honoured.

Anyway, I digress. The book Hadrian's Wall will give anyone who has a wish to know the ins and outs of the Wall and its construction all they would want to study. It also includes the Antonine Wall as this played a major part in Hadrian's Wall history.

Some of these books by Embleton can be found in a second hand book shop. We have one in the market in Newcastle City Centre which often gets some really excellent stuff from years gone by and especially Roman to boot.

This is an excellent book. I have it, and refer to it often. One may find out more about the Wall than he knew.

I have to agree with everyone here. David J Breeze and Brian Dobson's book is brilliant and informative, not only is it well written and full of useful information but the appendices are very useful as well.