UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

Nice. I've never been much of a Pompeii fan, to be honest. Like you said, maybe not overrated, but it's not paradise either.

Not enough Late Antiquity either, although at least Pompeii has a decent excuse.

And I thought the Swedish project was completed? I distinctly remember reading that somewhere.

Nice. I've never been much of a Pompeii fan, to be honest. Like you said, maybe not overrated, but it's not paradise either.

Not enough Late Antiquity either, although at least Pompeii has a decent excuse.

And I thought the Swedish project was completed? I distinctly remember reading that somewhere.

Yeah, I also read that somewhere (and I reckon that I pointed out that they were wrong); the project is, however, very close to its completion. Most work in the coming years will be on documentation and publication as far as I know. Then again, you never know with a project like this.

But on the late antique part, must admit I'm not a fan of it. Most stuff after 235 makes me sleepy (in relative terms). We've got plenty of early 4th century BC at the Basilicata dig I'm working at and that is about as far as I can go by free will. Opus Sectile... Brrr....

Pompeii V.I. ...

Lucky you, I'd like to know how you find excavating through pumice, etc compares to normal excavation.

BTW If the 'grockles' get too much you could always try only speaking to them in Swedish ;)

Pompeii V.I. ...

Lucky you, I'd like to know how you find excavating through pumice, etc compares to normal excavation.

BTW If the 'grockles' get too much you could always try only speaking to them in Swedish ;)

Haha, that is a dangerous sport. The last time I did that - to a street merchant in Naples - he replied in Swedish. Scary shit.

Klingan,

Well it's the mention of the neapolitan area which gave me a first tip, then I simply though back about my 2009 hollidays and suggested the only place I remembered that could look a bit like that, the place I saw in the distance (since the dig was off-limits)

P1040011.JPG

Now, for a new challenge... Allow me to suggest the following place :

post-2692-0-89315300-1314994753_thumb.jpg

Opus Sectile... Brrr....

Are you kidding me? It's fantastic.

Like the chariot piece from Palazzo Massimo? It's dreadful! I will give you that there are some nice ones, I kind of like the tiger one they're having in the Capitoline museum, but even that isn't even close to a mosaic. The abstract, geometric, ones are, of course, much better.

Both the flora and the stonework remind me of sites I've seen in southern France.

Like the chariot piece from Palazzo Massimo? It's dreadful! I will give you that there are some nice ones, I kind of like the tiger one they're having in the Capitoline museum, but even that isn't even close to a mosaic. The abstract, geometric, ones are, of course, much better.

Yes, the geometric ones mainly. Ostia has a few really nice ones, as does Rome itself.

Yet France it is not ! Still, the country as indeed a coast.

Should we be looking along the Adriatic coast for the answer?

It looks like it could be Solano, Croatia