UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

Interesting idea but still too far into the northern Empire :D

OK . . . so . . nothing specific in the clue, just ruling out Britannia and the northern third of Germania Inferior.

There seems to be a river in the background, and the boats (even though they are just a few pixels, and my eyesight isn't what it was) look like those boats they have on the Nile (are they called 'Junks'?)

So - is it Egypt?

Nothing like going from one extreme to another and if you can see boats in the image your eyesights a lot better than mine but no there aren't any and you can rule out Egypt.

Tough one.

Going back to the Dover clue, no one else is going to say it, so I'll say "Is it in France?"

I'll even chance my arm with something more specific - is the hill in the background Mont Auxois (Alesia) ?

Neither but you are getting a lot closer.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping someone else would get on board with this one, but it looks like I'm in it for the long haul.

Spain?

In the right area at last :)

I'm hoping it's in the province of Baetica, as the Falco novel I'm currently reading is set there.

Sorry to disappoint you then :(

Ok . . that was a guess with my heart. My head would've said that there's more going on in Gallaecia.

Are there just you and me doing this? or is someone else biding their time ready to pounce when i narrow it down sufficiently (a tactic I've employed once before, so it would be ironic if I were to be hoist by my own petard!)

Hopefully no 'foist' (returned unwillingly) 'petard' (hand grenade/bomb) for either of us this time but again I am sorry in this case Gallaecia in the north western corner of the Spainish peninsula was not important for this site's purpose.

Tarraconensis? (having played heart and head, I'm now playing the odds - Tarraconensis was the largest.)

Yes this site was eventually incorporated into Tarraconensis - getting closer:)