UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Guess the ancient city!

Maladict

Not that I'm aware of

It is a bit inland but nowhere near Toledo.

A lot closer than your last guess but you need to think of somewhere with a military history but also less of a transport nexus.

Ah - why didn't you say so in the first place? It's clearly Iltrida/Ilerda.

You've drifted further away from this military sites location - I'm beginning to wonder if finding it will take as long as the original campaign. :whistling:

Since there have now been 14 incorrect guesses I suppose I should provide a quick recap for anyone else who may wish to join in - the original image is on page 101:

This is a military site which lies within Tarraconensis in the interior of Spain.

It is not on the Via Augusta and Caesaraugusta, while not the site, is closer to it than either Toledo/ Toletum or Iltrida/ Ilerda.

In desperation, I'm going to say "is it named on the attached map?", because if it isn't, that was my last line of research (though I was going to start looking at what Tiberius Gracchus got up to in Spain, though surely that's way too early). No way this is Numantia, is it? I should change that statement. This is Numantia! :)

post-3894-0-58559100-1320922192_thumb.jpg

Edited by GhostOfClayton

To be precise is is the so called 'Black Barracks' at Castillejo which was part of the Roman siege works around Numantia during the Republican period. The photograph shows the barracks while they were under excavation by the German team in the early 20th century.

:romansoldier:

A toughy at 15 guesses and it is now over to GhostofClayton. :thumbsup:

Well . . . I had pretty much dismissed that line of research out of hand because it was so early. Did they really build stone forts on campaign as early as that?

Anyway, come on everybody. Try this one for size:

post-3894-0-54808100-1320931226_thumb.jpg

Edited by GhostOfClayton

Well . . . I had pretty much dismissed that line of research out of hand because it was so early. Did they really build stone forts on campaign as early as that?

Anyway, come on everybody. Try this one for size:

I'll pass on guessing this one for obvious reasons but to answer your question.

The siege of Numantia occured over more than a year so required the Romans to build winter quarters. What you see in the image is the stone foundation layer although I believe the upper structure would have been constructed mainly in wood, in the same as was the usual Roman practice in the later Imperial period in Britain when building a new fort.

Although some major buildings may have been constructed in stone from the start it was only if occupation continued for several years that the majority of wooden buildings such as barracks would be replaced in stone.

Wow! You are good!

Over to you M. Hecatee.